• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bess's turn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two crows with one shot? Good Shooting, especially with a Bess!

Crows also destroyed waterfowl eggs, so they were also a pest species where I grew up.

Gus

Good shooting Brits!

See groups up too 250 crows going to roost..

Nosiy devil's! They are!

I think crows are a pest species everywhere.

They are so smart that they detour around my house because they got the word out that I shoot them. :hmm:

Britsmoothy said:
No buddy, 2oz is fine recoil wise. :thumbsup:

Yeah. Even in my short Bess, 2oz is no more uncomfortable than a standard 1 1/4 oz load in a modern 12 gauge. I worked up to that at the pattern board, and in my particular Bess I never saw any pattern improvement beyond 1 5/8 oz loads. Might reflect my choice of components, but I'm very happy with 1 5/8 oz and see no need for more shot. Might change if crows were on the menu.

BrownBear said:
Britsmoothy said:
No buddy, 2oz is fine recoil wise. :thumbsup:

Yeah. Even in my short Bess, 2oz is no more uncomfortable than a standard 1 1/4 oz load in a modern 12 gauge. I worked up to that at the pattern board, and in my particular Bess I never saw any pattern improvement beyond 1 5/8 oz loads. Might reflect my choice of components, but I'm very happy with 1 5/8 oz and see no need for more shot. Might change if crows were on the menu.
BB, I am finishing my stash of large shot, it's about BB size hence why a two Oz load, to get the pellet count up.

B.

Good shooting and I am happy with what you did to those crows.
2 oz. is a mite much IMHO. But, I have happily used 1 7/8 oz in mine. I'm a moderate load advocate and rarely used over 70 gr. charges of real bp.
Recoil never was an issue. But with my current state of health I cannot hold up the old timer any more. :( Now, a wall hanger.

Britsmoothy said:
BB, I am finishing my stash of large shot, it's about BB size hence why a two Oz load, to get the pellet count up.

I'd do the same. Big shot really thins a pattern compared to finer.

I'm curious about your shot size and patterns. Frankly I've never used anything larger than #4 from my Bess, and even at 1 5/8 oz I'm pretty well limited to 25 yards for reliable performance on small game.

Here in the UK the crows are now a problem they cause a vast amount of damage to the cereal crops. When you get flocks up too 400 strong they can clean of a half acre of corn field in a day ,one of the main reason for large numbers is that the UK has had several mild winters with plenty of food for them ,The most common of them is the jackdaw this is a small version of the rook and crow this year the population has exploded . The past month I have been busy at them in the corn fields shooting a big bag of 100 plus is common on smaller bags I use the sxs percussion gun which is good sport .
Feltwad

Back