• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Conical for Mule Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miked1

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm looking for a conical for mule deer hunting. I will be using a 50 cal T/C Hawken. Any load info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would agree that if you wanted to partake in a traditional hunt a round projectile would be a logical and very effective choice, for the modern experience there are many high performance bullets designed to be loaded from the front.

Have used T/C maxi balls in my old T/C .50 Hawken kit for mulies, and while it may be overkill, it sure does the trick on penetration. As always, accuracy and bullet placement are critical factors. Have found 90 grains of FF Goex to give good accuracy and power in my 1:48 twist barrel. Good luck hunting!

I'm looking for a conical for mule deer hunting. I will be using a 50 cal T/C Hawken. Any load info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TC Maxi-Hunters (not maxiballs) and Hornady Great Plains bullets are track drivers in my .45cal 1x48's...never used any .50cal conicals but I assume they'd perform about the same.

Have bagged deer with both bullets in .45cal...recovered TC Maxi-Hunters showed good expansion

I would recommend trying as many different kinds as you can in your gun and then using the one that gives you the best accuracy with a full power hunting load. There are a lot of conical bullets out there and I'm sure any one of them would be more than adequate for even large mulies if you can put them were you need them to go.

I shoot roundballs exclusively now, but I had pretty decent results with both buffalo ball-ettes and Hornady's PA conicals.

I have shot about sixteen mule deer with a Muzzleloader and all shot with a round ball with seventy to ninty grains of fffg black powder, all balls but one went clear through. A half inch hole is a half inch hole, if it goes through it doesen't matter what made it.

Slow

I shoot the 460 or 495gr No Excuses conicals when I feel the need to stray from the PRB.These freight trains fly extremely true and inflict massive damage on impact.
:m2c:

Latest posts

Back