• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best lock??TC,A+H,Lyman,CVA??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8sh2ter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've found a couple of each of these guns in Flint.Does anyone have any feedback on the quality and reliability of their locks.I'm planning on hunting with this gun.Thanks

NO 1 TC - NO 2 Lymans NO 3 CVA The way I check a flint lock for me is by cocking the lock, The one that don't travel far to cock is one that I can shoot the best. If lock has too much travel time I wil shoot to right. Best lock I have is on a Ozark Mt,I think it is a Davis?, it has a short travel time, you even have to have short flint. I never had a lymans I have TC and CVA,Pedersoli. Rate the CVA the poorest next the Pedersoli. Eats flints. Have the old TC flint lock and it has always worked. Killed 5 deer with it.50 Hawken. Dilly

str8sh2ter said:
I've found a couple of each of these guns in Flint.Does anyone have any feedback on the quality and reliability of their locks.I'm planning on hunting with this gun.Thanks
I can't speak to the others, but I can say this from several years of hands on experience with TC Flintlocks...TC significanty redesigned / improved their Flint lock assemblies 5-6 years ago...I have several and shoot one of them every weekend year round...after several thousand shots now there's nothing I can think of that needs improving.

Plus, TC introduced a completely redesigned vent liner that is extremely fast.

The new style lock, new style vent liner, Tom Fuller 3/4" black English flints, Goex 3F main, and Goex 4F prime...they're like shooting a .30-30.

A/H and CVA have gone out of business...parts could become an issue.
By contrast, TC has a real, lifetime warranty second to none...regardless if the original owner or not.

15308545CLOSEUPLockArea800.JPG

I have been shooting a TC Hawken flintlock (with the newer style lock that roundball mentions) and have found it to be a great sparking, very reliable lock. TC products come with a LIFETIME warranty......and their customer service is second to none.

have to agree with roundball. although i don't have a flinter yet, have my eye on foxridge outfitters tc hawken in .58. tc guns are reliable. know i'll have a few questions for you roundball when i get one. chopper :winking:

I have to agree with RB my t/c flinters lock have never failed me with the new hammer design and the new vent liners and tom fuller english flints fire every time at the range and in the field.
T/C warranty the best out there :thumbsup:

roundball said:
The new style lock, new style vent liner, Tom Fuller 3/4" black English flints, Goex 3F main, and Goex 4F prime...they're like shooting a .30-30.
I understand your point, but be careful how you describe your rifles performance. You might find your words quoted on Toby Bridges website and used against us. We all know how he likes to take things out of context to make his point. Just something to think about.

chopper said:
have my eye on foxridge outfitters tc hawken in .58.
I was looking at one of those custom .58 renegades in flintlock. Does anyone know if they also have the new lock and vent liner? Is the barrel made by T/C?

i'm not sure if these TC guns would have the new setup.Do you know if TC would change it out under warranty if the gun is sent in?Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Figures that the gun that i least like the design of is probably the best option.I just prefer the "more authentic" look of the Lyman and A+H,even the CVA MTN.

Jumpshot said:
roundball said:
I understand your point, but be careful how you describe your rifles performance. You might find your words quoted on Toby Bridges website and used against us. We all know how he likes to take things out of context to make his point. Just something to think about.
:thumbsup:

Jumpshot said:
chopper said:
have my eye on foxridge outfitters tc hawken in .58.
I was looking at one of those custom .58 renegades in flintlock. Does anyone know if they also have the new lock and vent liner? Is the barrel made by T/C?
If it's new from TC(Fox Ridge) it'll have the new stuff

str8sh2ter said:
"...do you know if TC would change it out under warranty if the gun is sent in?..."
They have for a number of us now...they don't have an "upgrade or recall program as such" so don't speak of it in those terms...but every time I've sent an old style lock in to the service manager with a good memo explaning that it eats flints and is just not very reliable, could he look it over and make it more reliable, etc, etc...they've always taken care of them.

Half of the time I've received the lock back in a week with all the new style parts installed at no charge, and half of the time I've received entire, complete brand new lock assemblies back at no charge...probably done about eight of them for me in the past 5 years.

I just 2 weeks ago sent in a old style hammer of a lock (I got used like new codition) with a letter asking would like the upgrade and with-in a week it was in the mail.I have an extra lock now looking to build something if I could find the right stock:
RB the extra lenght on the GM barrel is not that bad in overall weight .I do see a big big difference on the older stocks :they are a little heavy compared to the newer ones(could be a better grade of walnut back from the 70's) :thumbsup:

Fair to to poor is how I rate them T/C being the better of the group. They all have their faults, look for daylight between the pan and the frizzen on all of them. I've owned all three at one time, Sold the T/C to a friend awhile back. Still shooting good for him. I replaced the lock on both my Lyman and CVA with L&R locks. You can tell a big difference.. :grin: SSettle

lonewolf5347 said:
I just 2 weeks ago sent in a old style hammer of a lock (I got used like new codition) with a letter asking would like the upgrade and with-in a week it was in the mail.I have an extra lock now looking to build something if I could find the right stock:
RB the extra lenght on the GM barrel is not that bad in overall weight .I do see a big big difference on the older stocks :they are a little heavy compared to the newer ones(could be a better grade of walnut back from the 70's) :thumbsup:
I like the way a 32" / 33" barrel handles compared to the shorter 28's...and I definitely like the older stocks...their looks are different with the more distinctive comb design, and they're longer too which gives a longer LOP & more drop.

I'm very much a newcomer to flint, but I couldn't resist the A/H at the closeout prices. It's a good reliable lock. As others have mentioned, A/H is out of business so parts will be hard to get if you need them though. Being a hardcore T/C lover, they'd be my first choice now.

i've ''shoot through'' a tc frizen. heard somewhere the hot ticket was a lyman frizen on the tc lock. i then proceed to shoot through one of them. i'm now on my third or fourth frizen on the same lock.

of course that was back when the gun saw upwards of 10shots a day, EVERYDAY for a year and half. after that it fell off to 8-10 shots every few days.

no other ''issues'' with the lock, and it has lighting quick ignation.
it's on a hawkins i picked up used in '99.

brain said:
i've ''shoot through'' a tc frizen. heard somewhere the hot ticket was a lyman frizen on the tc lock. i then proceed to shoot through one of them. i'm now on my third or fourth frizen on the same lock.

of course that was back when the gun saw upwards of 10shots a day, EVERYDAY for a year and half. after that it fell off to 8-10 shots every few days.
no other ''issues'' with the lock, and it has lighting quick ignation.
it's on a hawkins i picked up used in '99.
Part of TC's lock improvements includes an improved frizzen...no need for a 3rd party frizzen with the new locks.

The new frizzen works on the old locks as well...that and the redesigned taller hammer are the bulk of the design improvements

I myself have switch frizzen to a lyman on the t/c lock but the newer frizzen from t/c are o.k. seem they must of made them with a different steel from the older ones or the new hammer design don't dent the hell out of them.I have one frizzen a lyman that still sparks excellent must have 300 shots on it,the only drawback to lyman frizzen thay will not lock on the open position seem the hook on the botom is a little short so it will not touch the frizzen spring.

Latest posts

Back