• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best lock??TC,A+H,Lyman,CVA??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so which rifle has the quicker ignition? the lyman or the tc? i have owed tc guns in the past [perc] and they always fire. even with pyrodex. how close is the ignition timing in the flint vs the caplock? my friend has a greatplains in flint. not sure what powder he uses, but he said he flinches so bad that his shots are ten inches low. who on the forum could or has done a side by side comparision? :hmm: chopper

str8sh2ter said:
Figures that the gun that i least like the design of is probably the best option.I just prefer the "more authentic" look of the Lyman and A+H,even the CVA MTN.
T/C has an outstanding warranty but you will never have trouble with Lyman's warranty either.
The Lyman lock is virtually identical to T/C's, many parts will interchange between T/C and Lyman, including the locks.
The GPR is certainly "more authentic looking" handles better and is generally a better shooter with patched round balls. It also costs considerably less as a new gun and often sells for more when used.
So, do you want a rifle or a warranty. :grin:

chopper said:
so which rifle has the quicker ignition? the lyman or the tc? i have owed tc guns in the past [perc] and they always fire. even with pyrodex. how close is the ignition timing in the flint vs the caplock? my friend has a greatplains in flint. not sure what powder he uses, but he said he flinches so bad that his shots are ten inches low. who on the forum could or has done a side by side comparision? :hmm: chopper
Don't know...but I'm very discriminating with respect to things working the way they're supposed to...and when there's a buck in the sights and I drop the hammer, I want the rifle to fire "right now".

My personal experience after several thousand shots is that TC's new style Flint locks, new style vent liners, 3/4" Fuller BEFs, Goex 3F main & 4F prime, ignition is like a single event...extremely fast, and excellent accuracy follows fast ignition...

I just finished shooting 10 boxes (10x100) hornady roundballs through a new style TC hawken flintlock....gosh this was fun.....the ignition

aap2 said:
I just finished shooting 10 boxes (10x100) hornady roundballs through a new style TC hawken flintlock....gosh this was fun.....the ignition
(rest of the message)....the ignition was very fast and reliable. I did this shooting over the last 4 months, flint life was excellent.

aap2 said:
aap2 said:
(rest of the message)....the ignition was very fast and reliable. I did this shooting over the last 4 months, flint life was excellent.
Yeah, the new style locks are simply outstanding, 100% reliable...I've got a good couple thousand shots each through three TC rifles I use on the weekends and they just keep on firing...nice even wear on the frizzens, etc

Latest posts

Back