• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best non-fouling powder for 32

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never wiped between shots and do not understand why people do, to each his own.
I blow down the barrel, I believe that is why my fouling stays soft.
[/QUOTE]
I put a patch on my ramrod, moist not wet and seat the ball with it on the ramrod. Pulls just a lttle bit of crud out, makes the ball come out faster with less resistance from the crud. Just a bit, nothing severe. I use pillow ticking and a lee ball, .311 i cast. Pretty much when i remember i try and do this with all my rifles when i practice.

I've never found the .32 or .36 to be anymore prone to fouling than, say, the .54. My .32 SMR does great with 20 grains of Swiss 3F. A Crockett I used for years drove tacks with 30 grains of Goex 3F. Just smooth the barrel crown and use the thickest patch that goes down with the wood rod.

I have two 32's one the Percussion Deer Hunter with the 28" barrel and a full length flintlock mtn rifle. While they use different ball and patch combinations they both use 3f Goex powder they use 16 grains for the 28" and 18 for the 42". I find that if I use a tight patch and ball combination that promotes hotter more complete burning of the powder I get minimal fouling. If i use the flintlock for a silhouette match, about 40 shots including sighters, Using spit lube I don't have to wipe between shots I use Tracks Mink oil lube for hunting.

I use a dried patch of water & ballistol sometimes, but often a spit patch at the range in my Rice barreled 32 flint, with 30 grains of Goex 3f and a 310 or 311 ball with a 15 patch. I have swabbed after every shot and after every 3rd shot . . .not sure yet, which is best. I know I have variables in this, I need to shoot more to get the best out of my rifle. The only ML I have where fouling is not an issue is my smoothbore.

Got a couple of PM telling me that I am not using enough powder, that's my problem. Funny, I didn't think I had a problem. I load for accuracy and I don't shoot at tree rats past 35 yards or so. Never had a tree rat or rabbit for that matter argue the point when struck in the ear with my loads. Oh well to each his own.

Got a couple of PM telling me that I am not using enough powder, that's my problem. Funny, I didn't think I had a problem. I load for accuracy and I don't shoot at tree rats past 35 yards or so. Never had a tree rat or rabbit for that matter argue the point when struck in the ear with my loads. Oh well to each his own.
Take no notice, you use whatever works for you.

I have shot as little as 12 grains Swiss 3F in my favorite 32 with a 27 inch barrel with excellent accuracy, normal load is 15 grains standard Goex 3F. Just do not need more powder for squirrel hunting with them.

The problem I’ve noticed with most .32 or .36’s that foul out too soon is because people are using too much powder. You don’t need much for an accurate shot in a .32 or .36. I keep my charges on he lower end, 15-20 grains.

These days, you’ll want to conserve your powder too.

Lately I’ve been substituting with Triple 7 powder, and i’ve found it to be just fine to work with. You just have to adjust your load by 10%.

Back