• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

best paper targets for open sights?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenlittle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybody have any opinions on what paper target design is best for open sights? I don't think I am consistently aiming at the same point on what I've used so far. With this imprecision, I don't know what is me and what is the gun or load.

I like using plain ol' six bull targets. the 25, 50, and the 100 yd. slap it on a bench and find the right load for groupings first. Then get get your sights lined up to center the group. After you know the rifle's doing it's part, get off the bench and start banging away till hell won't have it and you're beating everybody at the club shoots!

Oh, and have fun, it's the best way to do it

if your looking for some targets do a google search for "free targets". you can find anything you want, from bullseyes to silouttes to real pictures and you can print as many as you want free. i personally like the ones at[url] protargets.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.gamecalls.net/free_stuff/52_free_targets.html

Here's my favorite for partridge style sights (flat topped front ramp):

Diamond.jpg

This one is called "2 Medium Diamonds" from the site listed above. It's a free download. Aiming at the very tip of the diamond at 50 yards puts me in the center with a 2" high point of impact. This is perfect out to 100 yards with a PRB for deer hunting. The center white square is just over 1" wide.

A plain old 6" black bullseye is good at 100 yards.

At 25 yards, a 6" bull with a 1" white center is good, as is aiming at the center of the diamond target above.

For a bead front sight I prefer a round 6" bullseye with a 1" white center dot at all ranges.

Back