• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best way to clear a load from your barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
QuBn4Lm.jpg

Archery season opens in Missouri on September 15th so I'm getting some last-minute firearm hunting in before I become otherwise occupied. I squirrel hunted last Sunday and left the woods with a load down the barrel. I didn't want to waste it and I knew one of the yard squirrels would offer me an opportunity if I was just patient. We have a pignut hickory at the corner of the yard that is just loaded this year. All I needed to do was step outside with Ole Betsy at the right time. Yesterday was the day. I was out in the yard shooting my recurve when I noticed a squirrel climb into that tree with larceny on its mind. I quickly went into the house, swapped out weapons, and put a stalk on the nut thief. Now I have a barrel to clean along with a squirrel.

Darren

I went out last week with my old SxS and sat on a stool under a big pecan tree and limited out in about an hour and a half. There were squirrels all over the tree. They were so focused on feeding on the pecans that when I fired a shot the other ones just keep on eating.
I don't have a smartphone so I couldn't get any photos but here's a shot of the old SxS.

Attachments

• IMGP0807.JPG
    IMGP0807.JPG
    214.1 KB
I would say that is certainly the best way to clear a charge, for sure!

At times when I'm ready to go home, and i can still hear squirrels chattering, im usually like, well, might as well try for one more so that way i can clean my gun tonight...🤣

The squirrels have learned that I have Alpha-gal red meat allergies….. they are taunting me….. of course, I can always feed them to the cat….

Back