• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Better Hunter with BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Rorar

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Since I stared using BP during shotgun season here in Ohio I find my self taking better shots and and harvesting more deer. I take fewer shots but much better shots knowing I have only one. In years past I might have taken bad shots thinking I would have a chance at a follow up shot. Now I have become more patient, and wait for the best shot. It has lead me to see more and better deer, and has made me a better hunter. The hunt for me now is not just about getting a deer. Just my thoughts.
James

my father has actually given up modern firearms for hunting deer. like you said he shoots less and gets more deer.

I've noticed the same thing. Shooting BP actually requires you to use all the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Absolutely. For years I was very vocal about wanting to use our muzzleloader rifles during our shotgun season here. It took a long time but they finally have seen the light and allowed the use of muzzleloading rifles here during the shotgun season. :thumbsup:

Im my youth my only shot gun was a .410 single shot. My .50 cal was the clear winner there for deer season. I took at least one deer every year until I stopped deer hunting in "95". I can remember not taking some good shots, being so confident that a better one would present itself. Most of the shots I took were under 30 yards, with the deer walking broad side to me. My shotgunning friends talked about unloading thier guns, at deer 100+ yards away. I would just shake my head, I know exactly where you guys are comming from.

Jim RN said:
Since I stared using BP during shotgun season here in Ohio I find my self taking better shots and and harvesting more deer. I take fewer shots but much better shots knowing I have only one. In years past I might have taken bad shots thinking I would have a chance at a follow up shot. Now I have become more patient, and wait for the best shot. It has lead me to see more and better deer, and has made me a better hunter. The hunt for me now is not just about getting a deer. Just my thoughts.
James

I would say it has made me a better shot as well. I find a mindset/attitude among traditional BP shooters.

I love shooting and do it as often as I can. I always have liked single shot rifles. A friend gave me a Ruger #1 in 270 Weatherby as a gift. I hunted exclusively with for a while. I can and did knock down game out to 300-350 almost effortlessly. It made me more successful hunter but not a better one.

When a different friend made me a BP rifle I wanted to use it to show him I appreciated his gift. It caused me to read more about shooting them and the history. I became more ...invested in the aspects of using muzzle loaders to hunt.

A mistake BP hunting (like not gently depressing your trigger to soften the full cock of you hammer costs you a deer/coyote/fox/turkey/ whatever) is magnified because it takes better woodsman ship to get that opportunity to blow.

BP has made me a better shooter/hunter IMHO because of the investment.

PS I am so glad I found this Forum (but my Ruger is not) :grin:

In the past five years I've only used m/l for big game except two (a buck & a doe) I took with a centerfire rifle as the county I primarliy hunted in at that time opened a rifle season for the first time since WWII. Other than those it's all been traditional muzzleloaders. I even do all my rabbit hunting and most grouse with my cap-gun single-barrel shotgun.

If I've seen deer, even out of range or no good shots presented, and the flintlock goes off when I fire it before heading inside I figure I've had a splendid day. ANY day hunting is a good day.

Back