• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bi-athlon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhornet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone here go to primative bi-athlons (mainly in Vermont)? I am totally new to MLing and would start with percussion and hopefully talk my wife into a nice long flinter.
Is it all for fun or is there a lot of hardcore competition? Both are fine just wondering before we give it a try.

Howdy greenhornet. :hatsoff:
Mighty Oak stops by here now and then. He is a founder of a primitive biathlon in Southern Vt.
I'd look him up.

Hello greenhornet, I run one in Mass. and attend all the others, tough competetion is there if you want it, but the large majority is in it for the fun and sport. There are catergories:18-60yrs,over 6oyrs, women, juniors under 18yrs. and Smoothbore. Biathlons are in Mass,NY,So. Vt,ST. J, VT, Smuggs (the biggest) and Dalton,NH. Most compete with percussion, but, by far not everyone.

These sound like so much fun.

I'd definitely be in the "Having a good time and not worrying too much" crowd :)

I look forward to doing some of these Winter 2010 when I get back to the States!

Doc

Don't forget to have a good RB load ready to go and wood snowshoes, as most don't allow conicals/sabots (or peep sights) or metal shoes.

Hey Greenhornet,
By now I figure you must have made it to at least one of the Primitive Biathlons? If so, what did you think?
Lots of fun ha?
Did you check out our web site. www.svtpb.org

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been to a bi-athlon yet, but I did go to your site awhile ago. The only thing I have ever seen on them was a short thing VT public tv did on it. Looked like something cool for my friend "Doc Rogers" and I to try. I will have to go this winter ( give me a reason to look forward to our crazy winters). :youcrazy:

Sounds like this is your year to check them out.
They are a blast! You are not required to run to participate and at the SVTPB we have a whole host of other shooting events as well.Hope to see you there.

I think, I will check it out. Is there usually a "traders row" at these events. Always on the look out for a nice flinter

Well I bought a flint-lock at an auction the other day so I hope to put it to use this winter. Sure I won't be the best shot, but I will have fun if I make it down there.

Please do come. I am sure you will have a blast.
What kind of flinter did you get?
Can you post a photo?

It is a Traditions in 50 cal. nothing special, but should be a good start. Haven't even shot it yet, but hope to do that soon.

That's a fine and functional gun to get started. Gotta get out and shoot it.
Bring it to the biathlon.

Shoot the thing!!!

I'm stuck here in Korea dreaming about my flinter at my Dad's place and you have your baby in your arms and haven't shot her yet?!?! :)

See you in about 6 weeks when I leave Korea for Ft Campbell!!!

Doc

Need to run to the shop to get supplies. Can't wait to walk through the woods with the rock guns. Maybe you can even get away for the bi-athlon

Latest posts

Back