• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

billiard cannon and lead pool balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linksgard2

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've been eyeing the Pool Ball cannon from McLennan (formerly Coaches Club) for a couple years now since I don't currently have the room for a full size cannon like I want. However I'd really like to fire lead (or something simmilar) projectiles out of it, specifically I want to try and make up some canister shot for it, and maybe a round ball with a wooden sabot. I'm curious if the barrel would be able to take that kind of use, since I doubt the 2oz load they suggest would be enough to really give the projectile some distance.

I also remember seeing some friction or pull string type fuse for sale, just like the old civil war ear fuses. But I don't remember where I saw that for sale at, and if what I do remember is correct I don't think that company is around anymore. They were brass or aluminum tubes that fit into a touch hole from what I recall.

Do any of you have one of these barrels that would like to chime in, or know who/where/how to get or make some of those fuses?

Back Creek Gun Shop in Winchester, VA sells primers for reenactors. I have a billiard ball cannon and a golf ball cannon but unfortunately the touch holes on both are a bit too small for the friction primers. Touching them off with a linstock and a slow match is lots of fun though

I’ve fired billiard balls, cans filled with concrete, and lots of other things from mine. If your barrel is built for it you should be able to fire those types of loads but be careful….most of the cannon I’ve seen lately are more like signal cannons that have thinner walls and/or are not sleeved.

IMG_0408.jpeg

Last edited:
who built yours, it looks good. this is the exact one i was looking to get:
it supposedly has a 3/16 Inch touch hole on it, and is "Machined and bored from 3.5 Inch solid 1018 steel rod".

Howitzer+Only+F.jpg

Thanks, Dom Carpenter built that one for me based on a 15th century swivel gun.

That’s a beautiful cannon you have there….I like the polished finish. I would just ask them if it’s rated to fire heavy projectiles

Last edited:
Recoil is a very real issue with lead ball, mine is 1 3/4” bore so the ball weighs 1.06 pounds. The gun with carriage is less than one hundred pounds and recoils four feet when fired with 500 grains of cannon powder. You don’t want to be behind it!
IMG_0335 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
lead ball by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
This one is a video, touch it to play.

Last edited:
I used my 3lb downrigger weight mold, and made balls of Bondo car body putty. Worked good, use silicone spray or vaseline for a release agent.

To Clarify, the 3lb was for the soda can mortar.

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the Pool Ball cannon from McLennan (formerly Coaches Club) for a couple years now since I don't currently have the room for a full size cannon like I want. However I'd really like to fire lead (or something simmilar) projectiles out of it, specifically I want to try and make up some canister shot for it, and maybe a round ball with a wooden sabot. I'm curious if the barrel would be able to take that kind of use, since I doubt the 2oz load they suggest would be enough to really give the projectile some distance.

I also remember seeing some friction or pull string type fuse for sale, just like the old civil war ear fuses. But I don't remember where I saw that for sale at, and if what I do remember is correct I don't think that company is around anymore. They were brass or aluminum tubes that fit into a touch hole from what I recall.

Do any of you have one of these barrels that would like to chime in, or know who/where/how to get or make some of those fuses?
To the degree that it matters to you, lead balls were not used in the old days because of the pressures and expense. Iron is what they used.
Modern cannon shooters tend to use zinc for balls, or metal cans filled with concrete.

Cannons be spendy. I honestly don't really have access to a place to shoot one safely. Even so, I probably need a cannon.

Hern Ironworks seems to have more reasonably priced, lined reproductions than a lot of other sources I've looked at. They don't sell the carriages though. Those you have to build yourself, but I would think many people wanting a cannon would have no problem with that project.

Empire Cannons offers less DIY models with the carriages but they're obviously more spendy. Trail Rock seems to have complete kits, but again spendy.

I want a cannon...

I'm not getting a cannon.
😢

Using lead for ball is is the easy way for us less dedicated cannoneers to have shot. I tryed to get zinc at one time but it is more difficult to come by.
And yes, Nav everyone NEEDS a cannon!

Back