• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bird Taxidermy question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok taxidermy hide tanner types.

I want to tan either a Goose, Pheasant or several Quail skins to use in making the front flap on a shooting bag. So it needs to end up as a pliable skin.

I have done some pig, gator and small deer hide (parts) using Oxalic Acid to pickle and then Lutan to tan.

Will these products work well for this application?

What can I do or what do I need to do to ensure that the feathers don't slip?

Can I use the same oils I used on the other hides after tanning?

Thanks

Interesting question, and I'll be delighted if you get useful answers.

I respond that way because I've been around a lot of historic items made or decorated with bird "skins" at a glance, but close examination always reveals that the feathers were sewed on individually to lay down like on the critter. And that by Native folks who were quite good at tanning and sewing mammal hides. I can guess that it was a question of durability of the tanned bird hides, but there could be other issues.

I've always really admired the results, but I've always been unwilling to go to the trouble of sewing hundreds and thousands of individual feathers, too.

Here's hoping you find an alternative!

Yeah. I have a trouble conjuring up a king sized mental image of me sewing tons of feathers on. lol

I know it'll be a tough one, but it has to be possible because people mount birds without the feathers slipping. Probably won't be HC/PC but I'm not reenacting, I'm just geeking out. lol

The only suggtestion I can offer is that a friend of mine told me how to tan and preserve snake skins. He said use a mixture of glycerin and alchohol. That's all I know, he didn't elaborate.

Taxiderminy tanning is different I just found this out by a friend who is a taxadermist. If the skin gets wet it turns hard and stiff as a board the way to fix that is to deep freeze the hide and rework it good thing to know

Cracker you can also go to braintan.com, there is so much info there it will boggle your mind, maybe ask on one of the message boards for help, I'll bet there are several poster there that have already done what your thinking of n may be able to help ya out with shortcuts n keep mistakes from occuring. --just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Last edited by a moderator:
Back