• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder turkey hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spot said:
Skylinewatcher said:
Thanks for the link. I looked that over and it was very impressive.
The gentleman who wrote that is a member here, George. He knows everything. :grin:

Good luck with the turkey hunting.

:hatsoff:
Spot
Sure, give him a big head. :wink: :haha: :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
Spot said:
The gentleman who wrote that is a member here, George. He knows everything. :grin:
Sure, give him a big head. :wink: :haha: :thumbsup:
:haha: Nah, he's remained too much a "student of the game" for that.

I still use mostly the same loads he does, although I used Ox-Yoke felt wads when I had a Colerain "turkey choke" barrel.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Yes I've not only enjoyed the conversations I've had with him here but I've had his site book marked ever since I got into flintlocks back it 2003. :thumbsup:

Nice bird, I'll have to check about using PRB here in Alabama as I don't think we can. I plan to use shot if I decide to get a smoothbore. I have never had to shoot one over 40 yards, so shot out of one of these should do the trick.

Skylinewatcher said:
Thanks for the link. I looked that over and it was very impressive. After reading it I realized the smoothbore would present a lot of shot stringing. A man would need to follow through real good.
Never been any problem at all...I use good fast Goex 4F for priming, and Goex 3F or 2F for the main...when the sear trips the shot executes so fast its over.
Personally I think the often heard of notion about "follow-through" is a carry over handed down through the centuries from the old days when vents were small, powder was different and ignition may have been very slow.
But at least in my experience, my entire ignition cycle is so fast its a single event and there's no time or thought process about "follow-through"...I don't shoot my smoothbore Flintlocks any different than I shoot a modern shotgun...have shot trap targets with a .62cal same as if it was my Remigton 1187 trap gun.
So don't over-think it or worry about it...treat it like any shotgun and enjoy
:thumbsup:

Naw, I'm talking about bird hunting with smooth bore, I guess I should clarify more. The long barrels on that smoothbore junctioned with really soft lead will cause a lot of shot stringing. A man hunting dove will bag many more doves or other flying birds if he makes sure he follows through properly. If you can picture a youngin in the yard and you standing with a water hose. You raise that hose to squirt him and he takes off. Envision how that water gos in an arc as you move the hose to wet him. Same way with a shooting modern or traditional iron. I was refering to how a man would need to lead the bird even more with the soft lead and the multifunction nature of the iron itself. I'll just have to shoot one to see I guess.

Turkey hunt with a muzzleloader? Can't be done.
You have to have a 12-gauge in Max 4 camo with 3 1/2 inch shells and at least 2 ounces of No. 4 copper-plated chilled shot and a $120 super tight oxide custom turkey choke, latest full camo apparel, including matched camo underwear, camo on the soles of your boots, camo socks, camo makeup under your camo face mask, full camo turkey hunter's vest with foldout tooshie pad to keep your camo buns dry and comfy, multiple pockets for the two-dozen mouth calls you carry, plus pockets for the half-dozen box calls, the slate, glass and ceramic friction calls and the various gobble, power crow and shock/locator calls. You also have to have a GPS and a video cam with you. You also should really consider packing along a pop-up camo blind with interior seating, and perhaps a warming device and battery-powered mosquito repellent. Don't forget coffee, sandwiches, sports drink with electrolytes and some power bars.
If you haven't spent at least $2,000 on gear and are carrying less than 30 pounds of it with you to your stand (and at least half of it manufactured in China), you cannot kill a turkey.
Just ask the good old fellers at Primos, Strut, Haydell, Quaker Boy, MAD, Eastman, etc.
Until all this stuff came along, no one was ever able to reliably harvest turkeys.
And that's the truth.
:blah:

All I have is a is a DAD'S (A company not my dad) long paddle box call and one of his slate calls for close up work, I think he has a website now you should check him out. My camo for both deer (longjohns for winter doins) and turkey are tiedied sweat suits. Never needed any of them other doodads. My modern gun is a chester youth model with the old cheap walmart chester #5 shells. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I don't believe I could pull off my little hunting outfit in oregon like I do in Alabama. Gets a might colder up there :grin:

BillinOregon said:
You have to have a 12-gauge in Max 4 camo with 3 1/2 inch shells and at least 2 ounces of No. 4 copper-plated chilled shot and a $120 super tight oxide custom turkey choke, latest full camo apparel, including matched camo underwear, camo on the soles of your boots, camo socks, camo makeup under your camo face mask, full camo turkey hunter's vest with foldout tooshie pad to keep your camo buns dry and comfy, multiple pockets for the two-dozen mouth calls you carry, plus pockets for the half-dozen box calls, the slate, glass and ceramic friction calls and the various gobble, power crow and shock/locator calls. You also have to have a GPS and a video cam with you. You also should really consider packing along a pop-up camo blind with interior seating, and perhaps a warming device and battery-powered mosquito repellent. Don't forget coffee, sandwiches, sports drink with electrolytes and some power bars.
If you haven't spent at least $2,000 on gear and are carrying less than 30 pounds of it with you to your stand (and at least half of it manufactured in China), you cannot kill a turkey.
Just ask the good old fellers at Primos, Strut, Haydell, Quaker Boy, MAD, Eastman, etc.
Until all this stuff came along, no one was ever able to reliably harvest turkeys.
And that's the truth.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
AMEN !!!

My little .20ga Flintlock with brass showing everywhere, lead shot, no shot cup, and a Lynch's box call won't get it done.....Oh wait...

BillinOregon said:
And that's the truth.

i love it! well said sir! i've killed many a turkey and here is what i've always used.
my first principal is to pack light and move fast. reacting to where the birds are gobblinf from at first light.
my second principal is to be proficient in one call and concentrate on the yelp, cluck and purr. personally i prefer a slate with a good raspy tone.

the equipment i take is 1 turkey vest, small stool with a shoulder sling, i wear a leafy suit which is comfortable and helps keep the bugs away. face mask, light gloves, gun (either single shot 10ga or this spring my 10ga fowler) enough shells or shot for 3 shots and bug spray. oh, and water.

modern super tight chokes can cause a miss at close range too. i've missed a couple of birds at less than 10 yards because my pattern was tiny at that distance.

One of my favorite articles on ML turkey hunting was the one in the 1992 Dixie Gun Works Annual titled "Big Stink at Blow Fly Springs," by the late Dwain Bland. He used a double-barreled percussion shotgun loaded with No. 5 or 6, wore dark colored clothes and often a plaid flannel hat, sat in a rickety old ladderback chair behind a stump or a bit of old fence and called in his toms to within about 30 yards with a box or a wingbone. That's all it took.
I surely do miss those old Dixie annuals.

Skylinewatcher said:
I have never hunted turkey with a black powder scatter gun mainly becuase I don't have one. Thought one of these days I may get one and give it a try. Do any of you use this type gun hunting turkey? How much difference could I expect between it and my Chester 1300? I only shoot them up close, so I don't figure it would be a lot.
if you like close up turkey hunting than you won't

miss your 1300 I don't miss my 1187 !

DSC02282.jpg

Back