• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder turkey hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started hunting spring gobblers with muzzleloaders using a T/C 12ga. Black Mountain Mag...I think was the name of it. Had a screw in choke. I never could get it to pattern too good past 30yds or so and bought a bunch of good choke tubes to try. I only used it one yr. and did kill this Greenswamp WMA gobbler with it.

MuzzleloaderGreenswampGobbler.jpg

I just wasn't happy with the syntethic stock and camo...just felt too modern or something so I ended up building an Old Virgina 20ga. flintlock with open cylinder and killed a few birds in Greenswamp WMA with it.

jake2.jpg

bird.jpg

flintlockgobblerspurs.jpg

some not as pretty as others...
1jake.jpg

Now I'm finally finished and hunting with a gobbler special I built that Colerain made a 34" barrel for me with their turkey choke in it. It will reach out to 40yds or so with a good tight pattern. Hopefully this yr I will get a crack at one with it.
f2.jpg
Pattern at about 35yds..
sp.jpg

Love this thread! I like Skychief's first post, as I too am a blackpowderturkeyaholic. And no, it didn't make you sounds crazy at all Skychief - because I can totally relate and would have written the same. And I, on my own diagnosis, am not crazy. :wink:

I also like BillinOregon's tongue-in-cheek post. I used to be of the super choked modern turkey gun clan. I was young and it seemed the proof of ability and tukey hunting prowess was tagging out before anyone else. but as I matured it seemed too easy and something was missing from tagging out so early. I realized I was missing out on a lot of time in the turkey woods and filling my tags became less important to me than the whole experience. So I branched out to a couple different percussion guns and that was a lot more fun. Then, I bought a flintlock smoothie. When I shot my first turkey with it I knew I had the right gun for me. It just seems so much more personal, or could I even mention spiritual without being labeled as a looney. :haha:

Here's the evolution of a BP gobbler hunter in pictures... starts in 2004 with an 11ga. original fowler. Max range 15 yards because I had it loaded light. Took a tom and a jake with it, here's the tom - first BP turkey ever for me!
4-28-04006.jpg

I then found a T/C New Englander 12ga. and took two toms with it in 2005. This was #1
05-4-26008.jpg

After those two seasons I knew BP was for me and I was dying to try a flintlock. I was elated to find out they could be shipped internationally and so I haunted the TOTW used gun section until what I wanted came up. I grabbeed a nice used Caywood Type C .62 smoothie and hit the woods on opening day 2006. I had my first flintlock tom down at about 10am and my eyes were opened. I have put 8 flintlock gobblers under my belt since (I won't bore anyone with flintlock gobbler pics as I just posted a bunch on another thread in this same forum). I have "cheated" on a few trips involving air travel and shot some birds since then with a modern gun but it just doesn't feel the same. I'll be taking my flinter to OK again this year and hope to start working toward a Grand Slam with my flintlock. I brought it last year and had an unfortunate miss on account of a fuse fire (I had moved several times on that gobbler and must have tilted the gun and piled all the priming charge up against the flash hole).

I agree with the max. 25 yard range limitation. I have considered getting a jug choked flinter but, for me (and this is just my own personal preference) I like the range limitation and doing it the way it might have been done 200+ years ago. When I first embarked on the BP turkey guest, I thought I had bitten off a major challenge and it might be many days, if not seasons before I scored. It came as a surprise that a BP gun is really no handicap at all when used correctly. I already had the woodsman ship and turkey hunting skills I needed. I have learned that (usually) the only difference between shooting birds at 30 yards with the shotgun and 15 yards with the flinter is sitting still and remaining calm. I have also found that using a flinter has made me a better turkey hunter as I have learned a lot about turkeys watching them do their thing at shotgun range and having to coax them in closer.

As for the shiny brass and gleaming metal, I always make sure to setup in the shade as (I think) I have been busted twice by being caught with a 42" barrel shining in the direct sunlight.

I never really considered the BP smoothbore to be a handicap. I do most of my turkey hunting with a long bow and my firearm for them is my 1300. If I had a scanner, I would post my own pictures. I quit taking pictures of my kills long ago, so all of my pictures are printed. No, I just was wondering really about the kill ability. You know, what to expect in equipment and ability of the iron to put birds down with fly aways kept to a minimum. I have ascertained from you men that I can expect the smoothbore to work on the birds at a 35 yard max. I'd probably end up using the long bow anyway, so I guess I should just save my money. Thanks for your input guys.

That is funny Bill, yet very real for many turkey hunters today!

I had a desire to simplify my turkey hunting and add a new element to it, just as I had my deer hunting. So I donned period clothes and started after them. I have been made fool of, spotted before I could get a shot, and down right teased by many gobblers since. I have probably shut more toms up in Clearwater County while learning to use a wing bone call than all the modern hunters combined!!!!

All in all, it has been a grand experience that will be continued for years to come. It also continues to be challenge with definate limitations when one takes into account the advantages that I had with modern gear.

Get a smoothy and go for it Skylinewatcher

A couple of pics of toms taken with period gear.

Take care...Steve

spring07turkey013.jpg

DecemberTurkey0042.jpg

Nice birds :thumbsup:. What kind of turkeys do you have up there? And what gauge of shotgun did you use and what range did you shoot them at?

Hello Luie

Both are Merriams, the dominate sub-species in my immediate area. There are a few pockets of isolated Easterns still remaining from the 1980's introduction efforts by fish and game.

Smoothy is a 20g/62cal.

Bird in first pic was taken at approx 10 yards and the one in second pic taken at approx 20 yards. (I stepped the distance off on the second one and it took 21 of my strides).

Medic302- To the best of my knowledge, there are Rio's to the south of my location, say 100 + miles in the Lower Salmon/Riggins area.

With due respect...Steve

medic302 said:
wonderfull pictures boys, keep'em coming!

GM .62cal Flint drop-in barrels for these guys so far... going after them with a .62cal Virginia this April

041407Flintlock1stTurkey-1.jpg

042807CloseupFlintlockonTomsneck.jpg

042807FlintlockonTomshowsbeard.jpg

Mike Brines said:
You guys take head shots if possible?
Since rifles are not allowed for turkey here in NC, the typical turkey hunter uses birdshot on the head/neck area...took mine with head shots.

However, I've emailed our NC-WRC and asked them about a lead ball out of a smoothbore...have their written Email answer printed and laminated to carry in my hunting vest, because over zealous game wardens have a habit of interpreting laws a little different...and with it having rifle sights I want to have the NC-WRC HQ approval with me.

Since the only smoothbore restriction is no gauge larger than .10ga may be used...no restriction on the pellet sizes or numbers...and the NC-WRC reply specifically answered my question, that yes, I can legally use a smothbore and PRB.
And I plan to try that "just because"...have studied turkey anatomy charts a lot as if I was bow hunting them and its interesting to see how high up all the heart/lung vitals are located.

But, having a new .62cal smoothbore to try on them this spring, I'll first try to bag a Tom with the usual birdshot load to the head/neck...if I'm lucky enough to fill the first tag, I'm planning to go after my second tag with a PRB...we'll see

Gonna be a big hole. Though I guess it is not as bad as a broadhead stuck in one while he's doing his last walz. It looks as if the bird swallowed a weedeater.

yeah i could see the weedeater on that. i bet after that big ball goes through that bird there's string of feathers 10 feet on the other side.

Blk powder turkey is as addictive as elk hunting.
I shoot a 62 smooth with a full jug choke.
I can humainly kill turkey out to 40 yrds but all my shots have been 30 yrds or under.

DSCF3978.jpg

DSCF3992.jpg

DSCF3580.jpg

DSCF2260-2.jpg

40 yrd groups with a full jug choke

DSCF3003.jpg

Alright you all have sold me. I'm gonna get in the market for something like ya'll shoot. I've wrote all ya'lls recommend's down. Time to break the news to the wife...looks like pork'n'beans for me tonight boys. Its ya'lls fault if I starve. :grin:

medic302 said:
a .62 roundball? well it won't move after you shoot it that's for sure.
Have actually been planning on using a smaller .28ga(.54cal) smoothbore if is got here in time, but now it doesn't look like it will so I may have to use the .62 after all...or worst case blow the dust off a T/C Hawken/GM .28ga backup Flintlock I still have...

roundball said:
medic302 said:
a .62 roundball? well it won't move after you shoot it that's for sure.
Have actually been planning on using a smaller .28ga(.54cal) smoothbore if is got here in time, but now it doesn't look like it will so I may have to use the .62 after all...or worst case blow the dust off a T/C Hawken/GM .28ga backup Flintlock I still have...

nah, i say what the hell and go full throttle with the .62.

Wow, guys, I tip my hat to all of you who have gotten your birds with black. Some wonderful photos and great gear.
Regarding PRBs, Oregon specifies shot no smaller than 6 and no larger than 2 for turkey, so PRBs are out here in the Beaver State. Also, shotguns can be no larger than 10 gauge and no smaller than 20.

Back