• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder turkey hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One More.. I got this bird 2 years ago. I have taken 2 with the flinter and 3 others with a 12g double that I plan to convert to flint this summer. If you have killed em with a long bow you know the thrill of having em in close!! The drumming, the spitting, gobbling so close their spit hits you in the face!!!! Wow What a rush!!
Take the next step and get a ML smoothie and you will not be disapointed. Like most of the guys said, take the time to learn where the gun shoots..

Trky_09d.jpg

Y'all got me SO WORKED UP, I painted some watercolor on the #1 artist proof (orig in charcoal) of "The Showoff". I hope you like it!!

WessV_TheSHowOff.JPG

Keep the turkeys pics rolling in and YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hatsoff:
Wess

Wess, you get better every time I see one of your paintings..and you were real good to start with.

BillinOregon said:
Turkey hunt with a muzzleloader? Can't be done.
You have to have a 12-gauge in Max 4 camo with 3 1/2 inch shells and at least 2 ounces of No. 4 copper-plated chilled shot and a $120 super tight oxide custom turkey choke, latest full camo apparel, including matched camo underwear, camo on the soles of your boots, camo socks, camo makeup under your camo face mask, full camo turkey hunter's vest with foldout tooshie pad to keep your camo buns dry and comfy, multiple pockets for the two-dozen mouth calls you carry, plus pockets for the half-dozen box calls, the slate, glass and ceramic friction calls and the various gobble, power crow and shock/locator calls. You also have to have a GPS and a video cam with you. You also should really consider packing along a pop-up camo blind with interior seating, and perhaps a warming device and battery-powered mosquito repellent. Don't forget coffee, sandwiches, sports drink with electrolytes and some power bars.
If you haven't spent at least $2,000 on gear and are carrying less than 30 pounds of it with you to your stand (and at least half of it manufactured in China), you cannot kill a turkey.
Just ask the good old fellers at Primos, Strut, Haydell, Quaker Boy, MAD, Eastman, etc.
Until all this stuff came along, no one was ever able to reliably harvest turkeys.
And that's the truth.
:blah:

May the real Turkey Hunter Please Stand Up !

I have every bit of the stuff you outlined but you forgot about the video's and laptop to watch in the blind and in the truck on the way to your hunting area. Did you mention the swivel headed Hoochie Mama....hen bird decoy...spread.

Great Post......just wish I'd read it and taken it to heart 20 years ago. :thumbsup:

Don't forget the $50.000 four wheel drive to haul your $12.000 Bad Boy..can't get nowhere without a Bad Boy Buggy.

How could we NOT like it? very nice!!
Bill, I,too, was one of those with all the goody's and thought it made me a turkey hunter. I didn't have the expensive truck and four-wheeler(I hate those things), but all the deaks and everything. Haven't ever killed a turkey with a ml, but soon? Got a stock and barrel in the basement. :surrender:

Our season starts in May and I'm ready with my .62 smoothy flinter jug choked mod. It patterns very well at 20 yrds. I hunt in period garb and find it very relaxing.
Great pix and stories. :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

Back