• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bluing Touch Up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1942farmall

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Last weekend I changed the rear barrel mounted sight on one of my guns to a Skinner barrel mounted peep. This particular gun is blued.
The bluing under the area covered by the factory sight was just slightly scratched and the Skinner sight doesn't quite cover the scratches.
Anybody used Brownell's Oxpho Blue or the Birchwood Casey gel blue to touch up a scratched area?
I was afraid it may affect the factory bluing if I overlap slightly when applying.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldnt affect whats there. Just neutralize things good when done and oil. That said, it may not match the original very well. Ive touched up barrel rubs and not gotten great results, so I dont try anymore. I just keep the steel oiled and alls fine.

They are really pretty minimal and most would ignore them.
I'm just OCD and it's a brand new 1000.00 rifle. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to be that guy, but such content does not belong on this site. There was a time, not long ago that this would have been taken down immediately
Then don't be that guy.
I suppose I could have lied or omitted the details of the weapon.
I had a simple question on bluing touch up and figured since I posted it on the gun builder tab that fellas may have used the noted products and had experience.
Sorry if I offended anybody.

Then don't be that guy.
I suppose I could have lied or omitted the details of the weapon.
I had a simple question on bluing touch up and figured since I posted it on the gun builder tab that fellas may have used the noted products and had experience.
Sorry if I offended anybody.
Not to worry, I edited the posts. They now comply and your question may be answered without any further problems. The missing details will not matter.

LD

Ahhh, much better... Oxpho Blue should work just fine, doubt it will change the factory blue but if it does you will be able to buff it back to original.

for extremely small areas (like scratches) I've used a sharpie marker at times. Mark it, and then wipe it off before it dries. The color stays in the scratch.

Last edited:
Back