• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blunderbuss use in the colonies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlbrant

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i know the blunderbuss was used as a coach gun and on naval ships. however, i would love to know how widespread they were used in the colonies for home protection on the frontier of the carolinas , va. and kentucky areas. someone has told me about the possibility of the boone family having one for home defense. would love to hear from anyone who may know of historical events where the buss was used on the frontier for protection. :idunno: :idunno:

Panther: You might find James Forman's "The Blunderbuss: 1500-1900" an interesting read. He has, though, very little to say about the blunderbuss in the Colonies because there seem to have been very few. Very few. They were never as popular anywhere as they were in G.B. and the heyday for the weapon was the 17th century.
They are great fun to shoot.
Pete

The Jaeger riflemen of the revolution carried two blunderbusses per each patrol. These were used to trigger the L shaped ambush and get out of an ambush they walked into. If they walked into an ambush the lead man would level his blunderbuss and fire. In any direction away from the trigger.
Instead of waiting around for the second phase of the ambush all of the men would quickly follow the balls shot from the Blunderbuss! The service load for the Blunderbuss was 200 grains of powder an a quantity of 50 and 30 caliber balls. When one of these was touched off it sounded like a three pounder going off. This added confusion in the mix.
:thumbsup:

Panther,
I think most references to the blunderbuss here in the colonies will be found in a military setting. Research that my father has done on Putnam's Rangers during the French and Indian War, show that they were issued a blunderbuss or more on several occasions. Somewhere there was a description of a man carrying a double barrel blunderbuss in the seige lines around Charleston, SC during the Revolution.
I think they were just not all that practical here in the colonies. A gun had to defend, supply food, and meet military requirements for militia duty. It just wouldn't measure up. Effective, no doubt, but probably not common. I believe that they were around, and lost in history.

grzrob:
The Jaeger riflemen of the revolution carried two blunderbusses per each patrol. These were used to trigger the L shaped ambush and get out of an ambush they walked into. If they walked into an ambush the lead man would level his blunderbuss and fire. In any direction away from the trigger.
Instead of waiting around for the second phase of the ambush all of the men would quickly follow the balls shot from the Blunderbuss! The service load for the Blunderbuss was 200 grains of powder an a quantity of 50 and 30 caliber balls. When one of these was touched off it sounded like a three pounder going off. This added confusion in the mix.
I'd really like to know more about that. Recommend some reading. Those BBs sound like monsters compared to the "normal" .62 - .69 cal. Would love to see a picture if you've got a reference.

Pete

grzrob said:

That is Wild!
What bore size would you be talking on something like that? Any idea how many balls would actually be fired in one shot?

I saw a blunderbuss fired on "Deadliest Warrior" and even at close range the spread was impressive!

Wasn't the STOOGES Blunderbuss a regular Trap door with a funnel put in the muzzle?

(Not that it matters)

The Doc is out now. :v

"even at close range the spread was impressive!"
Contrary to popular belief, the "bell" on a BB has little or no effect on the pattern. My BB patterns exactly like a cylinder bore shotgun spreading at about two inches a yard. Buck shot patterns a bit tighter than that. A five yards, I get an 8-10 pattern.
The bell was a help in loading the thing rapidly. Remember that the primary uses were as Coach guns and on Naval vessels - both situations in which one can expect a lot of movement.
Pe

Here is information on the Service load used by the Jaegers.

Service load is 220-240gr powder (2 musket cartridges as the volume of them varies some) and a standard load is @6-8oz of shot in a .80 blunderbuss. The load you are describing is an ambush load, a VERY heavy load of 12 @.50 cal pellets and 22 @.32 cal pellets. The cartridge was 2 musket cartridges (sometimes those ball were tossed in) and a bean bag looking thing with the other shot and weak stitching on one end Some naval examples had what looks like hat felt in the strong end that was presumably to be used as an over shot wad for longer term loading that tended to split on loading and the fabric helped hold the shot in place when rammed down on top

Where did you find information on naval loads for a blunderbuss?
I have been unable to come up with any examples in the RN.

Gzrob: Great, thanks. You wouldn't have access to a picture would you. I have a few pics of BBs that had monster bores. One pic shows a little beast with a 6 3/4" barrel (14 inches OAL) with what appears to be a bore like you mentioned.
Pete

grzrob said:
Here is information on the Service load used by the Jaegers.

Service load is 220-240gr powder (2 musket cartridges as the volume of them varies some) and a standard load is @6-8oz of shot in a .80 blunderbuss. The load you are describing is an ambush load, a VERY heavy load of 12 @.50 cal pellets and 22 @.32 cal pellets. The cartridge was 2 musket cartridges (sometimes those ball were tossed in) and a bean bag looking thing with the other shot and weak stitching on one end Some naval examples had what looks like hat felt in the strong end that was presumably to be used as an over shot wad for longer term loading that tended to split on loading and the fabric helped hold the shot in place when rammed down on top

That is impressive!
Wasn't there a danger of the gun blowing up with such a heavy load?

The load is not tight packed and there is a big hole for the pressure to escape. We know the service load of the Jaegers but there is a debate on how they held the blunderbuss to fire this load! My Friend Bryan Brown does not know the Naval load. He suspects it would be less than the Jaeger load to keep from blowing marines out of the rigging's and setting said rigging's on fire.
This knocked out the Nock Volley Gun!

Grizz, I imagine that they had to hold it at the hip and just spun around when it went off. Speaking from experience, there is no way to shoulder that kind of load.

Many Klatch

Manyklatch, I agree, I bet the two most healthy Jaegers in the unit carried these! At the re enactments the Jaegers load two musket blank cartridges, 220 grains of powder only. We were leaving one event early as the reenactors were having one of their "tacticals" We heard a large boom go off in the woods and we could hear people
hollering " It's the Jaegers it's the Jaegers! " We were tearing down our tents at the time!
So having a shoulder fired weapon that sounds like a 3 pounder causes confusion now as it did then!

panther---There have been many threads on the mighty Blunderbuss here in this forum. Welcome!

I and many others share your fascination with the Blunderbuss. I read somewhere (but have to look for the source again) that George Washington originally petitioned that the Blunderbuss be the FIRST official "carbine" for the colonies but that he withdrew his recommendation after several other military leaders argued for a longer barreled rifle. But I think that may speak on behalf of the attributes of the Blunderbuss even in the Colonies! I like them so much I built my own 4 Bore, yes that is 1.025 INCHES diameter.

I have loaded it up with three 50 caliber balls, ten 36 caliber balls and two ounces of #6 shot. Under about 130 grains of 2F black powder and a 1/2 thick over powder cardboard wad.

It is quite impressive indeed.

My favorite is 4 PLUS ounces of #6 in a paper pouch under 140 grains of black and a 1/2 inch over powder wad. Light it up at night!

panther---After the Battles of Lexington and Concord, British General Thomas Gage occupied Boston, Massachusetts. After negotiating with the town committee, Gage agreed to let the inhabitants of Boston leave town with their families and effects, if they surrendered all arms. While most of the residents of Boston stayed, those who left under the agreement surrendered 1778 firearms, 634 pistols, 273 bayonets, and 38 Blunderbusses. (I wonder of those who stayed and REFUSED to give up there arms I wonder how many had the mighty Blunderbuss? I am willing to bet a higher precentage).

The blunderbuss did have its civilian applications; the Lewis and Clark Expedition carried a number of blunderbusses, some of which were mounted and used as small swivel gun on the pirogue
(A pirogue is a small, flat-bottomed boat of a design associated particularly with West African fishermen and the Cajuns of the Louisiana marsh.)

Back