• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Books

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtramad

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to buy some books on gunsmithing that deal specifically with flintlocks, wheellocks, snaphaunces and restoring antique pieces. Anyone got any tips?
European arms are most interesting and detailed pictures of lock types, their internal mechanisms and geometry would be nice. I allready know a great deal about the history of firearms and I'm a competent mechanic so any book dealing with basic skills and knowledge is not what I'm looking for.

Can't give you any specific titles however, the first place I would look if I were you would be the Dixie Gun Works cataloge. They have a hugh section with hundreds of titles for sale there. Pretty much I would say if you don't find it there if may not exist. They have this section cross referrenced three different ways, by subject, author and title. Very comprehensive, well worth it to get one of these shipped to you just for this reason alone. Of course, all of their stuff is available on their web sight - you could search it and maybe find what you are looking for.

I bought a hard cover book in a used book store that may be what you want:
Antique Firearms
Their Care, Repair and Restoration
By
Ronald Lister.
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 64-23797
The inside cover says it was first published in the USA by Crown Publishers, Inc. in 1964

Try "Black Powder Gunsmithing" by Ralph T. Walker , DBI Books Inc, North Field, Illinois and "Hobby Gunsmithing",also by Walker and also by Digest Books Inc at the same address. I found a lot of useful stuff in them if you sift through.They are large format paper covers.

While this book doesn't deal with restoration, if you are interested in the history and mechanisms of european locks, The Flintlock: Its Origins and Development by Torsten Lenk would be excellent. It is published in 1960 by Bramhall House, a division of Crown Publishers. No ISBNs or Lib of Congress #s available. It is an extremely rare book, but perhaps available thru interlibrary loan from your local library. Snaphances are discusssed in some detail, as the author is Dutch. No wheellocks at all are covered. Many great illustrations! Can't comment on the historical accuracy of the text. Hope this helps! :) OOOPS! just noticed your location was Norway :redface: The book was originally published by the Holland Press Limited. Perhaps that will help you find it!

Thanks for all the tips, the titles mentioned seem to be just what I'm after. :thumbsup:

Xtramad,
If you are interested in Torsten Lenks book get it in Swedish. The original printing from 1939. "Flintl

Xtramad,
If its for any reason is gone give me a PM and I will find you another copy.
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

Back