• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought 2 more T/C's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

combat32

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Went back to same shop I got the Jager and Dixie 32 and drug these two home :wink:

Both need a little work, the Cherokee barrel is history, shot and put up wet, no lands or grooves left in the first inch or so of the barrel.

The 50 Hawken is in better shape, rear sight is missing, but already tapped for a tang sight, bore don't look bad either.

The serial on both rifles start with a K, read somewhere that means they were kit rifles?
1003141742_zps9df843a1.jpg
[/URL][/img]
1003141741_zpsb953b904.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Sounds like the Cherokee barrel may have been coned, if the rest of the bore is good. Just shoot it to see how it does, after a good cleaning of course.
I don't know if the Cherokee was offered with the quick load barrel.

Not familiar with that, is that like a counterbore?
Do you know of any sources for a rear sight for the hawken?

Thanks, I think you are right, still barrel looks real bad, I will continue to clean it, then shoot and see how it goes.

Is the Cherokee, a 32? I have a 32 Cherokee, and my barrel is pitted and worn bad, but (here's the good news) after scrubbing, and putting everything I could think of down the barrel, to help smooth it out, but most of the rifling is worn and pitted out nearer the muzzle. It shoots great. I load it with Black MZ powder, because it does not foul up in the barrel. I have a 36 Seneca, with a pristine bore, and the 32, still shoots better. Go figure. 15-20 grains is really all you need for a 32 anyway, because the wind will play havoc on that tiny ball. But at 25 yards, it's a ball to shoot(no pun intended). Good luck.

I don't think they ever used the QLA barrel on the Cherokee's or Seneca's, I think the QLA"s were on later rifles, after the small rifles were discontinued. I could be wrong.

hadden west said:
I don't think they ever used the QLA barrel on the Cherokee's or Seneca's, I think the QLA"s were on later rifles, after the small rifles were discontinued. I could be wrong.
I think your right,
Could be the Cherokee was coned,,

Got a small enough light down the bore and no it is not coned, just pitted real bad, some of them craters you could get a truck stuck in.

It is a 45 cal. I did shoot it once at a steel plate at 40 yards, with 50 grains of 2f behind a 440 PRB, it hit center but low, got a jar of JB bore paste on the way, need to smooth it out for sure.

I wish you the best of luck. But even though the 32 looked like it was "toast", it actually shot very well. I am shooting at a short yardage, and I would expect that you would want more out of the 45. I think Track of the Wolf, has a snailed breech, to fit it and the sights, under rib, and thembles could be used on a new barrel, if worse comes to worse.

Latest posts

Back