• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barebackjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, when I get done doing what im doing, im gonna have a little spending money. Ive always wanted to get a BP revolver.
I dont know if id like a cap and ball, or BP cartridge. The only place I see them available is cabelas, and those are all cap n ball.
Id like something larger in a larger caliber, .40 or bigger.

Anybody know of a place that has a good selection of both?

Thanks

Well if what you are looking for is "larger", then there is only one revolver for you. 1847 colt Walker! :wink:

You can look here at many available guns. http://www.uberti.com/ Once you decide what type of gun you want, start doing some searches to find the best price.

Last edited by a moderator:
on one hand the .44 cal cap and balls are a blast, but i also have a ruger vaquero in .45 colt. there are b/p loads for that as well.
problem with the cartridge guns, is you can burn a bunch of powder pretty quick.
i gotta say the C&B's are a real good time. the best part of them, they are'nt really guns,,, according to the man.
my favorite is the 1858 remington. it will do ~2" groups at 25yrds.

Keep an eye on the auction sites : AUCTION ARMS AND Gunbroker...they have great deals most of the time...There is a sweet ROGERS & SPENCER on one of the auctions and also a Colt Dragoon and a Colt WALKER;;;
ALSO...Look at the Classifieds on this FORUM!!!

Probably your best bet to find a BP revolver at a decent price is to frequent the online gun auction sites. They sometimes have slightly used guns for a good price; just be patient and someday one will come your way. I got a Pietta '58 Remington for $135 last Fall.

Don't forget the local gun shows. I bought my Roger&Spencer at one for a golly shazaamm price of $125 and in new condition. Picked up a a860 Navy pocket pistol for $85 pistol for and it's m wifes favorite revolver. I believe why you can find good deals at gun shows is because the "modern" hunter tried muzzle loading hunting and found out they ya got to work to clean em up,and being too lazy they pedal them at bargain basement prices.

well you can cover both needs with one pistol.

get a good peita or uberti. 58 remington in .44. as stated before they are not guns. now for the second part you can get a conversion cyl. to shoot .45 colt. and you can buy the conversion because it is not a firearm.

Cabelas has pretty decent pricing, and sales sometimes. I usually go for used stuff tho. Try the classifieds on here first, then sites like Gunbroker, and Auction Arms.

Try to get an all steel frame pistol, they will hold up much longer. I have around 8 bp revolvers, and love them all! For the first one, I would recommend
the 1851 Colt Navy!

Dixie Gun Works has them and Cimarron does too. I think Taylor's does as well. I'd recommend a Uberti no matter where you buy it. Be sure it has a steel frame. The Colt style revolvers balance better and just generally feel nicer in the hand. The lightest .44 Colt is the 1860 Army. Uberti also makes a copy of the Remington C&B revolver. There are cylinders available to convert these pistols to early style cartridge guns without modifying the gun, so that you can swap back and forth from C&B to cartridge in minutes. But they are fine revolvers in their original state and are economical to shoot.

bareback,

this is not a revolver, but without a doubt it is the largest caliber handgun i have ever seen:

(discussed extensively in earlier posts)
(it ain't cheap though)

pedersoli howdah
2 x 20g / .615cal
HOWDAH-PEDERSOLILarge.jpg

also, i have one of these. fully loaded it clocks in at over 4lbs.

pietta lemat
9 x .454" and 1 x 20g.
LeMat1863REVOLVER700Cabelas-1.jpg

both are available at cabela's and dixie gun works.

~daniel~

Thanks for all the info guys.

After doing some research, checking out the sites put forth on here, ive come to really like the looks at least of the steel frame colt 1860 Army and Navy models in .44 and the steel frame 1861 Navy in .36. I read the '61 has a better "feel" to it than the '60.

Are these repros good choices? What would be any advantage of the .36 over a .44? Other than less powder and lead. (I dont plan on hunting with this, just for fun).

I dont really see much of a price difference between new traditions, uberti, or pietta. Is there much of a quality difference in these brands? What about armi san marco?

I think Uberti is still a cut above the rest. Armi San Marco is best avoided.
The '51 and '61 Navys have great balance but are .36 caliber revolvers. I like the '60 Army because it has a longer grip and fills my hand better. The balance is excellent and it packs a bigger--way bigger--punch due to its heavier caliber.
The Cimarron revolvers have a nicer finish than others I've seen and the actions seem smoother.

Buffalo Arms Co (http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,135.html) is another source for all your shooting needs. I recommend the steel frame 1851 Colt. Don't let the .36 cal worry you, they still pack a pretty good punch. The grip frame of the 1851 makes for a very comfortable revolver.
Tom

Uberti Remmington 1858 New Model Army! Comes with or without adjustable sights. Try 25 grains of 3Fg, a wonder-wad and a .454 Hornady ball.

If you weren't so new to the BP revolver scene, I'd recommend the Walker, also by Uberti. Twice the charge of powder, same patch & ball! Wins BP pistol competitions consistantly and has garnered me a NRA Qualified Sharpshooter rocker & pin. Colts are natural pointers, an extension of your hand so to speak.

Also be advised that the Colt Navy is available in .44 cal. It's not "period correct", but it's still fun to shoot, and you would only have one size ball to buy :wink: .

Have fun and make smoke! :)

Dave

The Uberti Remington New Model Army that is currently being sold by Dixie Gunworks does Not have adjustable sights.

The Uberti Remington New Army Millennium and the Uberti Remington Navy revolver also do Not have adjustable sights.

Like the original Remington it has a groove cast into the top strap of the frame.

Some of the earlier production Uberti's may have had adjustable sights but I suggest that the buyer needs to read all of the information before he/she puts down their money. :)

I have (or have had) a reproduction of just about every Colt and Remington copy on the market and a few others to boot. My all time favorite percussion for balance is the 1860 Army, for shooting I strongly prefer the 1858 Remington. If your close to Grand Forks stopping in at Cabelas and checking out the bargain cave can yield good results. There prices haven't been as good lately, but I have in the past seen lots of good deals in the cave. I once walked out the door with a brand new brass frame Pietta navy for $50.00.

The basic difference between the 1860 & 1861 is caliber and grip length. The 1860 has a slightly longer grip length which is good or bad depending on who you ask...can't tell much difference myself. As for quality, Uberti has had the best score in recent years though Pietta is getting better of late. Think Armi San Marco is about like Pietta...wouldn't toss out any of them! :thumbsup:

Having never had good luck with Piettas, I'd suggest looking at Uberti to see if they make what you like. I keep hearing that Pietta has gotten a lot better recently, so the quality might be about the same. The Ubertis are a few dollars higher, but probably worth the difference.

It's best if you can try a few different models out to see how they fit your hand. As you can see from the varied replies that different guns fit us all differently. Personally, I shoot best with the 1858 Remington or the Rogers & Spencer guns. I like the pointability of the Colts, but I just don't shoot as well with them. I don't know if they're less inherently accurate or if I'm just less accurate when I shoot them.

I use a 7.62X39mm case (AK & SK case) as a powder measure for my Rem. '58 Pietta, that full w/3F, a felt wad and greased slug atop is fairly powerful load.
3 shots, 2 wild hogs.
the one hog that took 2 shots I got w/my ROA and same loading.
the hog I took w/1 shot I put the slug just in front of the ear and took a sizeable chunk of skull off.

Back