• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP water fowl

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowolf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello the camp!

I have a Navy Arms sxs 12 ga and am thinking about trying it for Duck and Goose hunting here in MN. I am pretty sure that one should NOT use steel shot, what are my alternatives and does any one know a supplier? Has anyone else done any waterfowl hunting with BP?

Thanks,

MOWOLF :bow: :bow:

Choices- steel,heavy-shot,nice shot
My load..80-90 fff-Goex..Heavy metal shot-cup wad
1 1/2 oz. 6's Heavy-shot...1 thin white over shot card. Heavy shot weighs more than steel- patterns better in my guns, Next choice would be Nice Shot,
I would use this if the plastic wads did not work out.Steel is the lightest,and I feel I cannot get the speed I would need using Black powder. P.M me for more details.....Smoke

Heavy shot- supply at Ballistic Products Inc.
7 lbs.@ 158.95 comes in 2,4,6,71/2
Nice Shot- from Nice shot Inc
they sell it by the kilo..1 kilo =35.2 oz.comes in
BB,2,4,5,6 shot @ 60.00 per kilo
Heavy-metal wad from Ballistic products Inc.
thin white overshot cards from Track of the Wolf
You can shoot steel if you use a thick wad cup.
You will need to spend some time working up a load that shoots in your gun. It's all in the choke!...... Happy shooting!

I'm out of touch with the newer shot in a ML, but up till we had to quit using lead here in Alaska (later than other states, but I don't remember when), I used a Navy Arms 12 for most of my waterfowl hunting. I'm guessing that just as makeumsmoke sezz, you're going to have trouble getting enough velocity with BP to make steel shot effective. In my cartridge guns steel is only effective when you really crank up the velocity, something you're just not going to do with black.

Not that it does you much good other than to provide food for thought, but my lead shot loads chronoed just shy of 1100 fps, and I always opted for a little bigger shot than I used in my faster cartridge guns, even with lead. I used #6 in my rear stuffers early in the season and #5s in my front stuffer. Late in the season I went to #4s in the rear loader and #2s in the front loaders.

With lead I never felt the need for heavy shot charges, with 1 1/8 ounce being the right compromise for velocity versus recoil. Patterns were decent even without plastic cups, but easily achieved a mod choke equivalent with WW Red wads. Less with the white.

It was roughly a 35 yard gun with the cups, but with no wad I was stretching things once I got out to 25 yards using only 1 1/8 ounce of shot without a cup. I just moved the decoys closer and picked my shots, usually reserving the second shot in case of wounded birds. If I missed on the first, so be it. I wouldn't crack off the second.

Don't know if that helps any when using today's components, but if you can sort through the development and swallow the high cost of shot today, you're on the right track for the most satisfying waterfowl hunting ever.

MOWOLF- BPI (located only a few miles from you) also now has something they call ITX shot. They say it is a non-lead shot that is safe for all shotgun barrels. It's new though and I have no experience with it so far, but sounds like it would be just the thing for muzzleloaders.

mowolf,
Been awhile since I dabbled in BP shotgun loads, but I think you can still buy bismuth which beats steel shot in BP shotguns!Bismuth is not to far from lead in performance!

EcoTungsten(Niceshot) is an identical replacement for lead...safe in all barrels & chokes, no protective shotcup required.

I tried some #6s...compared them against my Lawrence brand magnum #6s turkey load and Niceshot threw a significantly tighter pattern...80 pellets compared to 60 in a sheet of notebook paper at 40yds out of a 'Full' jug choked .62cal barrel.

Expensive yes, BUT...the good news is its identical to lead so all load development can be done with lead, then just fire a couple verification patterns with Niceshot itself.

Back