• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brain tanning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Knives

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this post.
Ok like most of us i always like to try new things and try to do them myself. I finally made my first attempt at brain tanning a deer hide today. I searched the internet (sorry but i'm cheap, i hear there's a lot of helpful books for sale). Anyway i searched for as much info as i could and went for it. I got just as much info about using a sharp knife for fleshing and not using one. In my opinion, sharp works the best but at the same time i found out why it was discouraged, i gouged the hide quite a few times. One thing i have to throw in though is always use safety, never cut in the direction of your own body. I caught myself doing that a few times and had to make myself stop. The fleshing went relatively well. I sat on the hide and placed us on a large metal tank, empty of course. There were a few tough spots, a few weak spots but things went smooth. I'm soaking the hide over night in river water and hope to scrape hair in the next few days. Anyone got any more pointers??
Oh and i hope to post pix soon. My 9 year old daughter has been helping and is very proud of herself.
So anyone got anymore helpful hints?? :hmm:

An old fashioned draw knife is good for fleshing and dehairing. I used a piece of 8 inch plastic pipe to put the hide over when I did one by hand.

And I used to think roofing was hard work. :rotf:

Brain tanning IS hard work. Ive been known to do a little. There is no better info than Matt Richards book "Deerskins to Buckskins". Any one chapter is worth the price.
I think I have a extra copy somewhere here. PT me and I will help you out.
tim

I ruined the first hide I ever tried to brain tan then bought Matt Richards book that has been recommended in the other replies. Since then my hides have turned out better than I ever thought I could do, well worth the money. I have'nt seen the video yet but have been planning to purchase it someday. If you have'nt already found it yet Matt has a web site, braintan.com, alot of good info there on brain and bark tan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back