• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brainstorming names for a Flintlock...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack a thread about existing gun names so I thought I'd open this for ideas.
I got a .62cal smoothbore Virginia this year and easily came to the name "The Settler" thinking that a smoothbore was pretty often used by the settlers, seemed to fit, I liked it, done deal.
But I had gotten a .58cal Virginia last year and can't get comfortable with a name yet.

I had the unbelievable luck of taking 2 good bucks with it the first 90 minutes of opening day 2009, an 8 and a 6.
Then this year I hunted it the first week of 2010 ML season while waiting for a lock repair on the new .62cal smoothbore I was planning to hunt, and I'll be darned on one of those days I took a Doe then a 7 pointer in the same morning also.

I keep thinking I should be able to come up with a name along that theme and have thought of / heard of ideas like two-fer, double trouble, double deuce, double play, but they all seem sort of modern sounding...any other ideas might help trigger something.

.58cal Virginia ”“ 2009

1-68PointRacksROTATEDTOHORIZONTAL.jpg

.58cal Virginia ”“ 2010

110510-7pointaDoedarkened.jpg

Here are some words that might "trigger" something else:

Pairs (or could be spelled Pears!)
Company
Couple
Success
Quickie
Double Deary

I've never named a gun . . . :idunno:

Jefferson.

Thomas Jefferson is on the two dollar bill, so Jefferson is right on top of two bucks.

Naming rifles, pets, and children, just another service I offer.

Bill, nice guns, good hunting. It doesn't matter what you call it, it won't come when you call..Hank

My guns have different names bestowed under different circumstances.

Normally, I refer to them as "the 54" or the "squirrel gun", or the "36", but at other times they become "you rotten SOB" when they don't work the way they should, or "whata sweet shooter", when they do. :v

God bless

Once had a english setter named whoa dammnit................watch yer top knot..........

Not all of my guns get names, in fact some of my favorites don't have names.

Those that do seem to have told me what their names were - silly as that sounds - I have a Carolina Smoothbore named "Caroline" and an old DGW Tennessee Mountain rifle named "Dixie." A T/C Renegade with roundball barrel is "Girlfriend."

My late Lancaster, much as I love it, doesn't have a name, although I used to jokingly refer to it as "klatch", that being the only sound a deer had ever heard it make. We're past that now, fortunately. :grin:

I like "Two-fer" for the .58, it's a great name and the rifle seems to have earned it. Seriously, how many rifles actually EARN a name like that? I don't think it has a modern feel at all.

These may be a really dumb conversations, but I like 'em.

Spot

I like Jefferson. Keep that one in mind.

Here's what I've got so far:

Couplet
Harvester
Dawn Breaker
The Gentleman (Think southern gentleman)
Noah
The Ark

Okay, one more. Playing off of "Jefferson" and "The Gentleman"

"Gentleman Tom"

Bill ,got a friend at a gun club I shoot at every once in a while,funny but true he goes exclusively by the name "2BUCKS"..If that isn't a perfect name for your gun I don't know any other..LOL..Ray

Only ML that might have been called by name is my 50Cal flintlock. Back in June about a week after having surgery I was out in the back shooting, yea I know I should not have been doing that, Last shot I really loaded it up and let rip, my neighbor had walked over and was talking we me when that last shot was fired. Name I called the rifle just came out it is now loving called Sunny of a Beach. Yes it can make all those staples and seams in your body hurt.

if you pack your own meat I would call it "busy morn'n" or " work maker"or "much meat"or "dull knife""Sir feeds-alot""deer hammer"

"2 buck"
or "double deer" ,"the jefferson" is good word play....your luck you'll get three on opener and have to do this all over again!

Latest posts

Back