• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brand New Haines

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnwolf

45 Cal.
Reaction score
On the way home from work, I stopped at the local UPS hub to pick up my component set from Dunlap Woodcrafts. The bug to build this has bit me 3 times but I've always recovered in the nick of time. I've been working up the courage to tackle this for the last 7 months and I finally ordered it last week. Then a couple days ago, I read the post saying how most 1st time builders "turn a $900 parts set into a $500 rifle". I'm gonna go slow, follow Chuck Dixon's book and pray for a good outcome.

Isaac Haines, .54 C profile Rice 1 in 66" with a good lookin' Siler lock and an eye poppin' stock.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v719/finnwolf/?action=view&current=ih3.jpg

It was a pleasure to deal with Daniel at Dunlap and I'd recommend him to anyone. Wish me luck, I/m going to need it.

Good luck! Hopefully, we'll be suffering through Lancaster builds together, as I hope to order mine next week. Still debating whether to go with Pecatonica or Chambers. I also sent an e-mail to Tip Curtis and he's going to send me a price list.

That is one gorgeous piece of wood! I hope I can get one that comes close to that!

:redthumb:

Finnwolf,
Beautiful piece of wood! I built one of Wayne's I.H. kits last year and was very happy with it. I know you'll be happy! Good luck.
If I had it all to do over I would only change one thing. Get Birddog6 to post pictures of a simple I.H. he did for a customer. It might be on his website? I did not realize how nice one could look with very simple carving.
PD

Hey Dood,
I fell in love with Chambers set the 2nd time this bug bit me, about 3 years ago. I used to go to his site a couple times a week and drool over his Edward Marshall. Almost ordered it a few times but I never did. The bug went away for a couple years and when it came back it was a Lancaster bug. Guess I either fell for the graceful lines or the idea of lugging 7 1/2 lbs. around the mountains instead of 10 lbs. I started reading and joined this forum and learned about other sets. I saw Wayne Dunlap's stuff last July at Dixon's fair and was impessed with the quality. I've neve held a Chambers but I hear they are top quality. Bunch of builders on this site recommended Wayne - he's a pleasure to deal. I've seen pics of what Zonie can build using Pecatonica sets. I can't see you goung wrong with any of the 3. Too bad Tip's stuff is not on the web, I'd love to see it. If you don't mind, can I get a copy of Tip's price list when you get it?
Finnwolf

Hank,
May sound funny but I'm not sure. I started out to order it back in January but I wanted a really good piece of wood 'cause I'm scared to carve it. At the time, Dunlap was low on Haines stock but a new batch of maple was coming in. Well it was delayed awhile and then the blanks had to be sent out for carving so I told Dunlap to pick me the best of the lot and this one is it. Not sure but I think he said it was a 5 ot 6? What would you grade it at?
Thanks,
Finnwolf

Finnwolf, Wow!!you got a darn nice pc of wood there should look great when your done any idea what color your gonna stain it ? :front:

Sure. Send me a PM with your snail-mail address, and I'll see if I can't get you a copy made when it arrives. That's how he's sending it to me... I'm guessing he's not very computer literate, or he'd have one in electronic form he could just e-mail out.

Oh well, at least he replied to my e-mail! :redthumb:

Pecatonica keeps callin' my name... I keep seeing Zonie's guns in my head, and looking at their site, and thinking of that grade 4 maple... :youcrazy: :redthumb: I can't wait!

John

Finnwolf, thats one very nice riflestock. I really like all that figure you're going to have in it. I'm jealous! :crackup: Keep us up to date on the build.

Finnwolf, I would have to agree with your rating, it would certainly have to be high. I am in the process of gathering parts to build a Vincent and was thinking of using Dunlap for a stock and wasn't sure of their system.

Hank :thanks:

That appears to be one of Waynes grade 7 stocks. I have bought allot of wood from Dunlaps & Wayne has top notch wood....... And he is always a pleasure to deal with.

:thumbsup:

Hello LHunter,
You're a fellow Pennsylvanian - where from?

I'm not yet 100% sure but I'm pretty sure I want a lancaster brown with a tint of red in it to set off the antiqued brass patina and the plum brown barrel I'm planning.

Something like this:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v719/finnwolf/?action=view&current=HainesCheek.jpg

Or something like this:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v719/finnwolf/?action=view&current=AAA-604_2.jpg

But I do like a whisky brown like this:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v719/finnwolf/?action=view&current=aaa-411_0.jpg

Guess I'll know for sure when the time comes.
Finnwolf

I'm still a little weak in the knees from an overdose of tiger stripe but I'll go along with Birddog6 - if anyone out there is thinking of ordering a kit - give Dunlap a look.
Finnwolf

Thanks Flatlander, I appreciate the nice comments! Don't be jealous, it ain't built yet.
The same thing happened to my hair - woke up one morning and there it was, so I got this here hat. Looks good, don't it?
Just kidding...

Finnwolf I am from southcentral Pa between Gettysburg and York. I like your #2 color pic, but I like the wiskey brown too tough choices ! your stock will be great looking either color :m2c: :front:

Hi LHunter,
Been out your way many times, I love to visit Gettysburg National Park. Great area, lot's of history out there too. I love the more rural atmosphere as opposed to the industrial steel/coal northeast but this has always been my home and I love what we have here too.
Yeah, it's a tough choice I have to make but I'm just about sure it's going to be #2, Birddog6 recommended Dangler's reddish/brown so I'm going to experiment with that on some scraps. Being my first build, I just hope it comes out nice enough so I don't have to hide it in the attic.
Finnwolf

Finnwolf, is this going to be your first attempt to build one or have you built others already?

Thanks.

Dan

better choose a different color pattern and style!! I have already chosen mine to have this coloring! :crackup: You have good taste! I'd like to see pics of it when you are finished! It will be a real nice piece!!

Oneeye,
I'm counting it as a first attempt. I built a couple of pistols over 20 years ago and I've refinished a modern gunstock or two. I built some cabinets and furniture over the years so I'm familiar with using tools and finishing wood. I have Dixon's and Alexander's books and I've read 'em both a couple times.
I'm hoping that and a whole lot of patience is enough to get me through this. If not, I'll be the latest of many to turn an expensive kit into an expensive embarassment.
Finnwolf

Flash,
Good thing you're way out in 'braska and I'm here in PA. Otherwise, folks would get us mixed up, carrying the same rifles an all. Bet you have a hat just like mine too.
Finnwolf

Back