• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breech plug fouling scraper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Coffee

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does a ArmiSport P53 Enfield rifle musket have a flat breech plug face or a dished face? You can leave BP residue on the breech plug face or in the corners of the breech plug face if the scraper does not conform to the face.

I need to know this so I can use the appropriate desiged breech plug scraper attachment to my cleaning rod. The only .58 cal. breech plug scrapers I have found are squared for a flat breech plug face but I can easily make a rounded one on a grinding wheel.

couldn't a bottom scraper be made to fit the breach plug by putting black on bottom of scraper and dropping down barrel,looking to see what needs to be removed, :confused: :confused: :confused: doing this several times till you get a perfect fit?

Wait, if you put the black on the bottom edge of the scraper how will you be able to tell what parts are making contact, thought the black had to stick to the piece you wanted to size.

If the breech plug face was flat like the breech plug scrapers are, I wounld not have to do that.

I was just wondering if anyone ever had a p58 Enfield breech plug out and knew if it was flat and will fit the breech plug scraper attachment as is. However, I am willing to wait a few more days to see if someone knows, before I resort to the method you suggested.

Good Morning 1st Texan,

If you will use the "flush tube" cleaning method with a good cleaner like BLACK SOLVE, You will not need to ever use a scraper.

The BLACK SOLVE WILL desolve all fouling in the barrel/breech and is then flushed through the breech and nipple, hence no need for a breech face scraper.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

God and Texas

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Politcians Lie!!! USA Freedom Die!!!!

I believe all Armi Sport repros have flat breech faces. If you're looking for a bore scraper, try S&S firearms, http://www.ssfirearms.com/ They're advertised on page 58 of their downloadable catalog. Cost $4. Cheap at twice the price. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. That is the answer I was wanting to see. I have the usual brass fouling scraper attachment with the flat blade. I could have tried the fouling scraper I have but I would have never been sure I got all the fouling out of the breech if the breech face was concave.

I have a container of Black Solve concentrate I purchased from Dixie Gun Works. I noticed a brass flushing nipple at Track of the Wolf for n P53 Enfield (FLUSH-EMS) with 5/16"-18 nipple threads. Now I need a good flushing kit with 3/16" plastic tubing. I can break up the breech fouling on the face and corners of the breech with the cleaning rod attachment and then give the barrel a good enema. Just swabbing the barrel will clean the bore and rifling but cannot clean the breech. That fouling build up may eventually lead to a cook off.

If you will leave cleaning fluid sit in the barrel for 15-30 minutes it will loosen and remove any and all fouling at the breechface. The problem is that most folks get in too much of a hurry in cleaning their guns( after NOT cleaning them between shots) when they get home, and don't give the cleaners the time to do their work on the hard stuff.

I have not fired my P53 Enfield rifle musket enough to have a fouling build up in the breech because it has too damned cold. I noticed the Track of the Wolf FLUSH-EMS nipple includes a length of 3/16" clear nylon hose.

An associte has a breech cleaning nipple kit and he told me they way he cleans the breech is as follows: Before you clean the breech area, brush and mop the upper part of the bore with solvent in the normal manner. When that is done, scrape the breech face and corners with the .58 caliber brass breech scraper cleaning rod attachment. Put one end of the tubing in a can of solvent and the appropriate flushing nipple in the nipple hole. Suck the solvent from the can into the breech with a cotton mop in the bore. After allowing the solvent to sit in the breech for a while, pump the fluid in and out of the breech and the bottom six inches of the bore with the cotton mop. How much solvent you use is not important but it should be at least enough to clean out the breech area and the bottom six inches of the bore, that would be about a pint of solvent. Then pump it clean with fresh hot water. Swab the bore and breech with a dry mop. Then swab the bore and breech with a mop dampened with Ballistol. Finally, wipe the musket with Ballistol and let the bore of the musket air dry in the closet with the muzzle down.

Back