• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breechplug blowby

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used an all copper penny to make a front sight blade in an original Model 73 Winchester.
Couldn't find an original blade so went with what was commonly used to make front blade replacements in these old guns back in the day.

If memory serves the Browning Mountain Rifle breech plug was silver soldered to the barrel, I think somewhere I have an advertisement that shows a cut away breech and they were pretty proud of this fact. It would take a good deal of effort to unbreech one of those rifles and if you did I would wonder if someone has already messed with it.

I have a steel mounted version in 54 caliber and it is an exceptionally accurate and sturdy rifle.

I cant remember where , but think I have read the same thing . That the JBMR had the breech plug soldered in. Have one in .50 cal. never removed the breech plug. It will shoot as accurate as any rifle I have.,,DT

IMO, a properly fitting breech plug should not ever have this issue. If gases are escaping, there is a chance that they are eroding the breech plug/thread material via gas cutting. Ever see what happens when somebody tries unscrewing the valve from an oxygen tank that is fully pressurized? The escaping gases melt the threads away and you are left with a bomb. In the instance I am referring to, the gentleman who was unscrewing the valve lost his arm completely. The valve shot through the wall behind him. Moral of the story, those gases must stay on their their side of the breech plug. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have decided to take it to a gunsmith since I am as handy as a fistful of thumbs. However now I am armed with a fistful of information to discuss with him. Thanks again.

Back