• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brescian Wheelock Progress Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about repair links for chains for chainsaws? They are shaped about the same as the links that were on the wheellock that I built. The repair links do not have the teeth, just the links. They would be a little bigger though, but if you were building a bigger lock and used the smaller sized chain, I would think they would work.

The chain I use is that very small one on the
back wheel that changes gears. The links are
just over 1/8" long,,or so..and give me one
complete rotation of the wheel. I kinda altered
the innards a bit..I have made wheelies the
origional way and proved I can..That done, I
customized them...can't get electronic enough to
send a pic...saws and files I can do...

Those Sturmey-Archer gear change chains are certainly smaller than the door-closer chain I have. I will see if I can scrounge some in the verge rubbish our suburb is putting out next week.

Wulf,
I did not even know that such a chain existed. I don't want to tear apart my shifter unit to see the one on my 18 speed Fugi, so I will take your word on it for now.
volatpluvia

Stop at any bicycle shop. They sell for a buck
and change the last time I bought some and i did
get atleast three...

Thanks, ChrisPer,
I gave away and junked about four of those! Had I only known! :surrender: :shake: :barf: :( :shocked2:
volatpluvia

I had problems with broken chains on a Rifle Shoppe flintlock pistol I built. The problem was that I had not cut the grove in the tumbler deep enough to accomodate the chain and too much strain was put on the chain as the tumbler was rotated when the pistol was cocked. After the groove or notch was cut deeper ther was no longer a problem. Don't forget to harden and temper the chain, springs and wheel. :thumbsup:

dsc_0010.jpg

dsc_0012.jpg

I just got this from Blackley
The serial movie starts :thumbsup:

Rabbitears said:
I had problems with broken chains on a Rifle Shoppe flintlock pistol I built. The problem was that I had not cut the grove in the tumbler deep enough to accomodate the chain and too much strain was put on the chain as the tumbler was rotated when the pistol was cocked. After the groove or notch was cut deeper ther was no longer a problem. Don't forget to harden and temper the chain, springs and wheel. :thumbsup:

I had to deepen the groove on the tumbler on my wheellock also. It was kind of a pain to do it by hand with a needle file.

AQB1602,
Boy, does that look familiar! I got mine from TRS. I hope yours is better cast than mine. I do hope you will have a great time finishing and using yours.
volatpluvia

AQ,
Hmmmnn, I don't see the chain parts. I hope you didn't throw them away. Hee Hee!
volatpluvia

WOW!!!! you got all that??? I should have
known...I just got done making all the parts
today.........from scratch. Same style but with
out the wheel cover...What is 2 1/2 months when
compared to the price of a neat kit??? Good
thing I don't get paid by the hour...I chose
this style because of the flash shield...OH
well,,,live and learn..

They forgot to put in the package :doh:
And elsewhere, I have not made an inventory at this moment, there was no plan no manual!!! :cursing:

Not to worry. The people on this site can be a lot of help. Don't be afraid to ask if you aren't sure of something.

Do you have access to machine screws? I must have gone to the hardware store about a dozen times to get the one's that I needed. I was able to find all the screws that I needed locally or modify them as needed.

Back