• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brown bess muskets, who sells them?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, Im in charge to buy some more long land pattern muskets for the regiment i belong to, and im wondering who out there make these muskets and what kind of quality. I know of the indian ones over at Military Heritage and Italian Pedersoli's as per the make and quality, but we preferable would like the long land be cause of the bayonett fitting on them is different on these models.

were looking a bit cheaper, but that would be really nice.
Ummm... is a production item or a musket they have built and like 1-2 for sale?

i have found long land pattern sold at Loyalist arms also in Canada.
Does any one have experiance with this company and these muskets, they seem like a good deal.

Well, I have a Long Land from MVT. I paid $600 for it.

Whether it would be suitable for your purposes depends on what you would expect of them. I wasn't terribly impressed myself and were I to do it over again I would either start with a Pedersoli or buy a used Indian musket. I'm not personally that worried about the safety of these muskets. From what I can see they work at very low pressure and have established a decent track record.

IMO, fit and finish were horrible and the trigger pull was horrendous. With a lot of work though I feel I now have a decent musket replica.

Some of the things I had to do were,
1) refinish the stock
2) rework the trigger
3) temper the ramrod
4) dull the finish on the metal
5) "adjust" the point of aim
6) fit the bayonet to the barrel

Now concerning that last one, when I got my bayonet, it was very, very loose. It's inner diameter was probably more than 1/16" larger than the outer diameter of the barrel and it just flopped around there like you might imagine it would.

I went to the MVT web page and read their fitting instructions and they said, "If your socket fits too loose on the barrel, give it a whack with a big hammer to make the socket's internal shape slightly out of round. This will constrict its size and make for a tighter fit." Well, this seemed even a little too half-assed for me and I'm a veteran WECSOGer. Instead I cleaned out the inside with sandpaper, a wire brush and paint thinner, (it was filthy inside too), and then lined it with a thin layer of epoxy. After letting that cure I filed it down until I had a snug fit and then repeated it again in order to get a more uniform inner surface.

At this point I have a bayonet which slides on beautifully, but it was a lot of work.

Good morning MrFudd
I appreciate includding the Bayonet fit solution. I us expoxy for other related fits and had not considered it for my ratly Bayo. That will be one project claered up this return North trip. :thumbsup:
Mike in Peru God Bless Ya´ll

Loyalist arms was recommended to me by someone whose opinion I trust. If I remember correctly, their products are "replica" only and are not fireable in their shipped state (at least when shipped to the USA). They required touchholes to be drilled or something like that. I understand their product quality is first rate.

Early Rustic Arms makes a Milita Musket in kit form for 575.00 it says the time period is from 1755-1780

P

Some of the muskets we have now are being refitted with new stocks, the Jap stocks were well used and are starting to break apart, the musket were made in the late 60's and prior to us getting them they sat for a short time, they function fine and are safe, just we might be getting some new funding and new muskets were on my list.

So far these are some good contacts ill take a good look at these shops and well see what happens. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I have a Loyalist Arms Musket. I did buy it second hand so it was ready to use. They are a bit heavy.

At one time they were shipping the locks separate from the stock and barrel so that they were shipping non firing gun parts only. You will have to ask them about that. They have always been good about helping me to get the bayonet for my gun.

My gun is the 1728 version with the unbridled lock and a wooden rammer. I will recommend the improved Long Land Pattern with the Bridled lock and the steel ramrod. It makes a difference in the ease of loading. By the time of the F&I war units sent to war had the improved versions and the wood ramrods were relegated to storage.

My lock is a good sparking lock. Check out the pictures under another post in General Muzzleloading.

The only Indian made muskets that I have seen that I would recommend are the Loyalist and the Middlesex Village Traders guns.

our current long land patterns, have the earlier unbridled locks, im not too pickey as to that element of the musket, we will be using steel rammers as the loading/cleaning tools will be all the same type as already . some like the better fitting wood rammer as there is no rattle, not a problem with us were used to it and im after safety and replacement cost with training new recruits, weight is also not that much of a problem, i see their musket is not a walnut as per the originals.
Im also liking the loyalist musket more and more because they are in canada and we are located in BC, no charges at the border.

do loyalist proof there barrels before shipping or they un drilled?

On the Loyalist web site and in their instructions for use, along with all the legal disclaimers, is the recommendation that the musket be proof fired by the user.

There are no instructions on drilling the touch hole or other preparations prior to firing. They do instruct the user to use Black Powder Only.

For most of the questions you will need to contact Blair and Linda at Loyalist directly.

Back