• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Real or Replica?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpongo6

32 Cal
Reaction score
This was passed down when my grandfather passed to my father and we had no idea he had it. Also have 0 clue if it’s real or a reproduction. Either way what a cool piece of history.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_0675.jpeg
    IMG_0675.jpeg
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_0670.jpeg
    IMG_0670.jpeg
    1.3 MB
  • IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
    1.9 MB
  • IMG_0667.jpeg
    IMG_0667.jpeg
    4.1 MB
  • IMG_0671.jpeg
    IMG_0671.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg
    1.8 MB
  • IMG_0668.jpeg
    IMG_0668.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • IMG_0678.jpeg
    IMG_0678.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_0676.jpeg
    IMG_0676.jpeg
    1.5 MB
That is a Pedersoli brand, reproduction of a Short Land Pattern King's Musket, aka a Brown Bess. The "made in Italy" , the serial number, and warnings about using "BLACK POWDER ONLY" indicate that it was made after the era of modern gunpowder began. If those markings had been removed, the "Grice 1762" marking on the lock would also give it away.

LD

That is a Pedersoli brand, reproduction of a Short Land Pattern King's Musket, aka a Brown Bess. The "made in Italy" , the serial number, and warnings about using "BLACK POWDER ONLY" indicate that it was made after the era of modern gunpowder began. If those markings had been removed, the "Grice 1762" marking on the lock would also give it away.

LD
Thank you so much for that. So it’s basically just a wall hanger isn’t worth anything maybe a couple hundred? Also, can you check out my other post I have another old one that I think is legit I just don’t know what it is or how much it’s worth.

LD
Looks short, even for a SLP. It only has one thimble besides the entry pipe. I'm thinking officer's musket?

Thank you so much for that. So it’s basically just a wall hanger isn’t worth anything maybe a couple hundred? Also, can you check out my other post I have another old one that I think is legit I just don’t know what it is or how much it’s worth.
Well you can sell it for $200 but it's worth at least $800, if the bore isn't heavily pitted, and the frizzen isn't too deeply gouged........looks like the bayonet lug/front sight is missing

LD

I smell a rodent here: a guy claims to "inherit" a nice repo musket, and 'hints' he may sell for 200...then implies he might have a genuine one, too! This feels to me like a "prankster" dangling candy in front of a baby, knowing how much most of us would leap at such a deal. If I'm wrong, so be it.

It is far from a wall hanger. It is perfectly serviceable for hunting, and for reenacting (depending on the level of authenticity portrayed.)

This was passed down when my grandfather passed to my father and we had no idea he had it. Also have 0 clue if it’s real or a reproduction. Either way what a cool piece of history.
I don't think King George contracted a gun maker in Italy to build muskets for the British Army. It's a repro. Semper Fi.

Really want to thank everyone for reaching out. Might hold on to it and if in good enough condition, go and fire it! No one at the gun show could even identify it, all just said wall hanger 100 bucks blah blah blah. Miss the days of going to a show and having real conversations with people.

Really want to thank everyone for reaching out. Might hold on to it and if in good enough condition, go and fire it! No one at the gun show could even identify it, all just said wall hanger 100 bucks blah blah blah. Miss the days of going to a show and having real conversations with people.
That is a good gun. It will take turkey with ease, and it can dirt nap a mule deer or a black bear inside of 70 yards.

They knew, trust me they knew. They just wanted to get to to sell it cheap so they could realize a profit. Sleazy buggers

I had one like it for years and even killed a few deer with it during hunting season , I sold mine about 15 years ago for $500 but I have wished many times that I did not ! ;)

Back