• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess ShootingBag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksmithman64

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just aquired a 'bess and figure to outfit with a shooting bag and horn instead of the cartridge box.Does anybody think the dog soldiers will git me? Just using it for smoothbore matches, I don't do the re-enactment thing. (yet)

the brown bess was used by civilians as well as the kings troops, so any thing that a civilian would use is correct.

Hey there

Unless you're reenacting the military, you probably won't need to roll any cartridges.

I just got my Bess put together and plan to use my usual shooting bag, with my leather shot dispenser, but use maybe a different horn for 2F powder.
All of the people I know who use besses, they don't use anything other than horns and pouches

You'll be fine with any period correct shooting pouch. Just a warning though; .75 caliber balls get heavy. I just shot a woods walk with my bess so I know. :v

If speed is a consideration, roll the cartridges. That's why the Brits had cartridge boxes instead of horns and bags. Didn't take the Continentals long to pick up on that either.

So, for hunting...use whatever you like. If it's a timed shoot, roll up some cartridges. The ML speed loaders you get from Traditions, TC, and others are just a modern day version of the rolled cartridge.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

I know it may be heresy to some.....but there is no reason why cartridges can't be carried in a bag....I reckon that guys who used horn/ball in civilian life would soon have used their advantages for "Active" militia use....there are also accounts of F&I provincials using them when they couldn't get boxes.
Steve

I use a shot pouch and horn and carry loose ammo but also roll both shot and ball cartridges using 85 grains of 3F.
I tear the cartridge open and pour 10 grains in the pan and pour the rest down the barrel followed by the shot or ball.
I only use them during a hunting situation where I have to load fast.
I also use 3F in everything from my pistols and rifles to my Bess as well as priming.
I have a good stock of 3F and as hard as black powder is to come by in my area just use one powder for everything.
I have shot proof loads of 250 grains of 3F behind two patched round balls in My Bess as well as two original 1816 Springfield muskets.
That's three times my normal charge and they all held together.
I may load a double charge someday but even at my worst woukd never accidentally triple charge a gun.
I have been shooting muzzleloaders for 35 years and have yet to double charge one accidentally.
I wouldn't worry about the 2F unless you have a ready supply handy.

Maverick, I know how to roll ball cartridges, but would you share how you make shot cartridges please?

maverick3855 said:
I tear the cartridge open and pour 10 grains in the pan and pour the rest down the barrel followed by the shot or ball.
I only use them during a hunting situation where I have to load fast.

Are you loading paper too, or just ramming the ball? What kind of accuracy are you getting?
Thanks

I roll cartridges using pseudo 18th c. newsprint and load 100gr 2f behind a .735 round ball. I pour the powder down the bore then ram the cartridge down the bore, ball still inside, with the empty paper side first (as sort of a wad between powder and ball). I have gotten the same accuracy with this loading as I do with .715 balls with wads and patching. I can only shoot about 5 cartridges though before I have to scrub the bore. I can load a patched round ball with overpowder card and 1/2 a cushion wad all day without a fouling problem.

trent/OH said:
Maverick, I know how to roll ball cartridges, but would you share how you make shot cartridges please?

Do it the same you would with a round ball but after you pour in the shot, use an overpowder wad in the cartridge to separate the shot from the powder.

Stumblin Wolf,
I use a shooting bag and horn for my bess. I do not reenact so a hand made bag suits me well. I like cartridges and sometimes use them on the trail for my own practice and pleasure, if it's not to dry. A few always roll around in my bag. My problem is in timed events the judges don't want me to use them. I contend if a man ( former malitia maybe? ) had experience with them and needed to reload in a hurry, could he not have had and used them?
Anyway I dont think anybody would say anything.
TVG

Back