• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Squirrel Hunt After Action Review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi good folks. I've recently been squirrel hunting with my Pedersoli Brown Bess. My hunting load consisted of 80 grains of Swiss 1.5 F black powder and 1 3/4 OZ #6 shot resulting in the following pattern at 30 yards (photo one with the tape measure).

For me that is an adequate pattern for squirrel hunting inside of 30 yards.

I swapped my powder from Swiss 1.5 FG to Graff and Sons 3FG but did not adjust my volume of powder. During a hunt today I completely missed four squirrels (they remained on the limb barking at me while I reloaded). None of my shots today were over 30 yards.

So I went back to the pattern board this evening using the of 80 grains load of Graff and Sons 3 FG (1/8 11 gauge nitro card over the powder, 11 gauge fiber wad over the nitro card, shot, and one 11 gauge over shot card to top everything off). I had less than a dozen pellets on my target!

….so, I adjusted (lowered) my powder charge to 50 grains of the 3FG and then up to 60 grains of 3FG (same load construction which resulted in this pattern at 30 yards (second photo without the tape measure).

Lesson learned from me (which is probably a blinding flash of the obvious to the more seasoned shooters here): changing powder types without adjusting powder volume can significantly impact pattern/performance and lead to frustration during a hunt ;)

Despite missing four squirrels this morning, I had a great walk in the woods here in eastern KS. I'm ready to get back after them tomorrow morning!

The last photo is a squirrel I harvested earlier this week (ironically using the 80 grain 3 FG load).

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bess 80 Grains 1.5 GG 1.75 OZ 6 Shot.jpeg
    Bess 80 Grains 1.5 GG 1.75 OZ 6 Shot.jpeg
    76.9 KB
  • Bess 60 Grains 3FG 1.75 OZ Shot.jpeg
    Bess 60 Grains 3FG 1.75 OZ Shot.jpeg
    83.2 KB
  • 6109DA7E-35EC-4642-B0B5-4FF302D86A3B.jpeg
    6109DA7E-35EC-4642-B0B5-4FF302D86A3B.jpeg
    232.7 KB
Last edited:
That is awesome! Do you shoot right next to their head, or hold dead on?

I use the bayonet lug as a large bead. Depending on the distance, I cover the squirrel (up close) with the lug or at 30 yards I put him on top of the bayonet lug.

Aside from my goof with the 1.5 F vs 3 F volume, that aim point has proved to be effective.

Last edited:
Have you tried patterning without even using the fiber cushion wad? With my smoothbore 12 gauge I was getting frustrated getting a decent pattern using a similar load to what you are using until I got a tip on here by britsmoothie to ditch the fiber wad as that big piece of wadding tends to blow through the shot charge and spread out the pattern. Made sense so I experimented using one thick nitro card over powder followed by shot charge followed by two thin cards over the shot, that's it no fiber wad and my patterns improved immensely and they were consistent from shot to shot too. May or may not work in your Bess like it did for my 12 gauge but might be worth a try. Good luck!

With my BB I preferred lighter charges in the 50 gr. range. Most of the time I used Goex 2Fg. Heavier charges tend to blow the patterns even though yours look OK. I once had some Swiss 1 1/2Fg. It just wouldn't ignite for me. I gave it away to a bp cartridge shooter.

I have the same type of results with my Bess carbine. Good patterns with 1f-1.5, blown apart with 2f. Mite try the no wad load with 2f, sounds interesting.

Do you guys think a dedicated fowler would provide better patterns and would be more forgiving across different powder types?

….hint hint: looking for a reason to buy a Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading Fowler 😬

or a Kibler kit in .32 caliber.

Back