• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning a barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ppanepinto

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just to clear things up for me, do I apply heat to the barrel while the browning agent is on the barrel or just let it sit for 3-4 hours? Humidity is not a problem where I live. Just need some help to understand the process.

If your using Birchwood Casey Plum Brown you will need to heat the barrel to 280 degrees F to make it work. 250 is too cold and 310 is too hot.

If you are using a cold browning agent like Laurel Mountains BARREL BROWN & DEGREASER or Tracks browning reagent heat is not required. Room temperature is fine although I built a browning box which uses a light bulb to evaporate the water and to keep the inside of the box at about 120 degrees F. It speeds up the process a little but generally speaking a tempreature like 120 degrees F. is not required.

A high humidity on the other hand is needed.
Several folks turn on the hot water in their shower in their bathroom for a few minutes and others use a electric vaporizer to keep the air in the room moist.

Laurel Mountain Forge. I know about the blowtorch at the end, but during the process is what I need help with.

I just made a pin jig and tried a "hot" brown using Mark Lee's browning. I really liked the look. Here is a peek.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t99/RICKLANDES/100_0503.jpg

I heated it and applied the browning about 5 quick times, drying with the torch and then snow quenched it. I repeated this about 3 times, baking soda washed the parts, dried and finished with a beeswax tallow mix I use for bullet lube. Took about 45 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back