• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buccaneer musket and french rampart musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueL

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

Have you any expirence with these types of musket? Powder loads? Balistic charatcteristic, etc...

p.s Have you any photos buccaneer musket especialy made in Tulle...

I have a French military piece, model of 1831 but actually made in 1833. It is a percussion breechloader (you read that correctly), and the barrel is 44" long. Bore diameter is .960, capacity of the powder chamber is 300 grains, total weight is 19 pounds, and it uses a musket cap to initiate festivities. A 3-ounce spherical fishing sinker is just the right diameter to use for a ball. With a light load of 180 grains of 1fg powder, shooting it will flat wake a body right up! :grin:

Do you have one of these, are you looking for one, or are you just interested in gathering information?

i think this is one, isnt't it....
http://www.aukro.cz/item505444598_perkusni_vojenska_obranna_puska_zajimavy_system.html

just interested in gathering information....

Muzzleloader did an article on a custom built wall gun a few years ago.Looked like a giant bess,They set a rifle lock on the frizzen for size comparison,
Mike those buccaneers are just about the most beautiful guns I ever did see.

WOW! That is almost identical to the one I have except mine is not rifled, is equipped with a ramrod mounted in thimbles (probably added after manufacture), and there is no mounting pin under the fore-end. There are a few other cosmetic differences, but all-in-all they could be brothers.

Thanks for posting the link to the pictures.

Those buccaneer guns Mike made are really exceptional. Those are true long-barreled hunting guns and I don't think the buccaneer guns are fully appreciated for their place in arms history. I've seen 18th-century references to them being used all along the eastern seaboard from Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York and down through the Carolinas. Awesome work.

"p.s Have you any photos buccaneer musket especialy made in Tulle... "

Hamiltons book on Colonial Frontier guns has several pics of originals, it is a paper back and not to pricey and one of a couple you would really want if interested in French guns, I think TOTW sells it,you could put one of Mikes guns in the book and it would look like it belonged there.

Still waiting for my 1'' wall gun from TRS I've ordered 8 months ago, only a few years to wait. :( :wink:

Heres the link, looks like a giant brown bess. Weight is approx 34 pounds: http://therifleshoppe.com/complete_parts_sets.htm

Should shoot a ball of 1400 grains in front of 300-400 grain 1FG. With 1000 fp/s that gives 3100 ft/lbs and 83 ft/lbs of recoil at 12 fp/s. :shocked2:

When you get it you'll have to travel up to England and meet up with Squire Robin. You can shoot clays together. :haha: :thumbsup:

I like the idea of shooting a 34 pounds ''shoulder artillery'' offhand for clay. :hmm: :grin:

But I am afraid by the time this thing arrives I'll be wearing a grey beard and black powder is outlawed. How long does it take TRS to finish a not-on-stock gun? Two years average I've heard. :barf:
Not to mention getting a flint strong and big enough to withstand this brutish lock and getting my own .900 ball mold.

Big guns = big problems.

Any word on your "Wall Gun" kit? I have been eyeing that very kit myself. do you think it will really take 2 YEARS?

Dan

Back