• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buck and ball and the Torso Target at 25 yds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Went to the range to shoot some more ball and shot loads. All went well with a 3" Group for 5-shots at 25yds. Shotloads great too. We decided to try a buck -n-ball load. Fierd two of them one .690 ball with 4-no.4 buck over the ball and card to hold it down. The no.4 buck is .24 cal. The loads patterned solid in the chest area in about 8" circle. Would be very effective in combat!! Next time I will try 18-No. 4 buckshot with no ball, a riot fowler maybe??

We decided to try a buck -n-ball load. Fierd two of them one .690 ball with 4-no.4 buck over the ball and card to hold it down. The no.4 buck is .24 cal. The loads patterned solid in the chest area in about 8" circle.

Now that's fun!!! ::

Also try the 4-no.4 buck UNDER a .69 caliber ball, see if that patterns a bit differently, I seen reference to the buck and ball being loaded both ways...

I have been shooting my Brown Queen for almost 15 years and love it. Got into shooting clays too. When I first started I learned to make paper cartridges. That was great and fast, then I branched off into making paper cartridges for shot. That tested VG, from there I expanded to buck and ball and finally double O buck. All were fun and effective.For the 12 guage I used 16 guage wads and rolled em up. I also used a 69 cal ball in my cartridges. Fit perfect. Some years back, I taught a friend how to make paper cartridges and he wrote and drew it up and sent it in to Muzzle Loader Magazine. It was printed...I am sold on 'em. Gives me something to do while watching stupid TV. Wulf

Even old Boone was known to use a buck and ball load in a smoothie now and then. Very effective manstopper! In the heavy dense forest it would be a formadable weapon for those close encounters inside 25-30 yards. Same as the old Riotgun was in the jungle and in house to house fighting.

Back