• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckshot Loads in a Smoothie?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossback

Big Bores Matter
Reaction score
Alright my friends, I have a question about loading a smoothie with buckshot for geese. Is that doable?
Is there a limit on the the number of balls or weight? Would the powder charge be equivalent to the same in a round ball of the same weight?

My Pedersoli 10g shoots 40 #4buck on 90gn of 3f pretty good. Can you shoot geese with lead buckshot legally.
20210601_180344.jpg

Alright my friends, I have a question about loading a smoothie with buckshot for geese. Is that doable?
Is there a limit on the the number of balls or weight? Would the powder charge be equivalent to the same in a round ball of the same weight?
Of course. I'd say shot weight equivalent to ball with same powder load. Wad over powder and wad over shot. Have fun experiementing!! I've been playing with buck 'n ball in a .69 cal smoothie.

What is your definition of "buckshot?"
Most states, and I would say all states have a shot size limit for hunting geese and other game birds. I do not believe that "buckshot" is legal for geese anywhere. But I may be wrong, so check your game regulations.
Buckshot sizes range from the small #4 buckshot that is .24", up to the largest buckshot that is 000 which measures at .36"
Normal goose shot sizes range from no. 2 which is .15" up to T shot which is .20". There is also an F shot, although I have never seen it. F measures .22"

However, will buckshot work in a percussion or flintlock smoothbore? Of course. Buckshot is designed for use in shotguns and smoothbores are basically shotguns regardless of whether they are a muzzleloader or a breechloader.
But then another question comes up. Will a particular smoothbore shoot buckshot with any modicum of accuracy? Only a lot of testing will tell.

Most states, and I would say all states have a shot size limit for hunting geese and other game birds. I do not believe that "buckshot" is legal for geese anywhere. But I may be wrong, so check your game regulations.
Buckshot sizes range from the small #4 buckshot that is .24", up to the largest buckshot that is 000 which measures at .36"
Normal goose shot sizes range from no. 2 which is .15" up to T shot which is .20". There is also an F shot, although I have never seen it. F measures .22"

However, will buckshot work in a percussion or flintlock smoothbore? Of course. Buckshot is designed for use in shotguns and smoothbores are basically shotguns regardless of whether they are a muzzleloader or a breechloader.
But then another question comes up. Will a particular smoothbore shoot buckshot with any modicum of accuracy? Only a lot of testing will tell.
Ok, let's say #4 Buck. I think that would suit the purpose. How many would I use? 6-8? 8-10? 10-12? The only reloading experience I have with buckshot was with 20ga shot shells loaded with I think 9 pellets of 0 buck.

Shooting buck shot in the air would be dangerous and lead for waterfowl is illegal. Just not worth the risk. We have other options. Use tss, that's more dense than lead. You can use a smaller shot size compared to the other non toxic shot, and therefore have a pattern that is dense and longer range effectively.

Shooting buck shot in the air would be dangerous and lead for waterfowl is illegal. Just not worth the risk. We have other options. Use tss, that's more dense than lead. You can use a smaller shot size compared to the other non toxic shot, and therefore have a pattern that is dense and longer range effectively.
😆😆😆. Everyone is getting in a tissy about the legality of it. That's not what I'm asking. I don't even have any around and I don't think you can get any. Of course I would use an alternative if I was to use my Hawken to hunt geese. Besides, I already have my answer. Is it doable? Yes. And thank you. With respect. 😀

As others have said, #4 buckshot works great for close range coyotes.
Buckshot is NOT for use on waterfowl.
Lead projectiles of any size are illegal for waterfowl. That's federal law. (some game wardens carry a magnet to check your shot)
Lead can usually be used for upland game, but even then, check your state regulations. Some wildlife management areas allow lead for squirrels, rabbits, pheasant, etc., but others do not.
Some states allow buckshot for coyotes or deer. Probably most do not. I grew up in a state where buckshot is legal for deer. I now live in Tennessee where buckshot is illegal, not only for deer, and coyotes, but for anything. Not sure, since I don't use it, but I think "T" shot is the largest shot that can be used here in Tennessee for coyotes.

So, as for how many buckshot pellets you load, only experimentation will find the correct result. Is your smoothbore muzzleloader choked? Wad under and over the shot? Some other combination? Powder? 3F? 2F? 60 grains? 70 grains? More? You must try a lot of different combinations until you find what works best for you in your particular firearm.
Just be sure to check your state regulations for what is legal and what is not. This could all be just a moot point if buckshot is illegal in Colorado.

Yes! check your state regulations. Large buckshot best for self defense and predators. You can't use any lead for waterfowl.

What is the caliber of your bore? The shot size matters a lot when talking about smaller smoothbore calibers. A very basic load to start with is equal volume powder and shot. So let's say 75 grains powder and same volume of shot.

Latest posts

Back