• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckshot vs Pure Lead Balls In .36 Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has experience shooting buckshot, such as Hornady 000 Buckshot (Link to product) in a .36 rifle, as compared to pure lead balls, such as the Hornady product (Link to product):

In the case of a .350 ball for the .36 cal rifles, there is an insignificant cost advantage between them; 7 cents/ball vs 11 cents/ball at Grafs.

The main difference (correct me if I'm wrong) is that buckshot generally uses a lead alloy hardened with antimony.

So hardened vs not, what have you seen vis-a-vis loading ease, ball/patch obturation, penetration, mushrooming, etc, we all understand the issues of hard vs soft. I would just like to hear from actual shooters if they observed real actual benefit of one over the other.

Last edited:
Back