• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building References

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronT

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure if this should go here or under Historical Documentation, but here goes. I am hunting for some reference books with pics of actual period rifles to guide me in shaping, carving, etc. "Recreating the American Longrifle" recommends Merrill Lindsay's "The Kentucky Rifle", stating that it is an inexpensive and indispensable book.

I managed to locate one copy, but it's going for $225. It just isn't in the budget right now. I noticed a book called "One Hundred Great Guns" by the same author that goes for under $20, though. Does anyone know if it is of any use to the flint rifle builder? There is no description given. Are there any other books you builders would advise me to look for? Right now I'm hoping to build a very early rifle, but I don't mind drooling over pics of Bedfords, Lehighs, and others. Thanks much in advance.

Aaron

This is "Steel Canvas, The Art of American Arms" by R.L.Wilson. Originally sold for $65 US, $90 Canadian in 1995. Was reprinted in 2004 at about $25 full retail price according to Border's Bookseller. Barnes and Noble had it too. I needed a Wysocki calendar, so ordered them both from[url] Amazon.com[/url] on Tuesday morning and had the ("used", very good) book on Thursday, $20.58 with shipping. Book is 384 pages, 9 x 11 and almost 1.5 inches thick. Beautiful color photos of lots of original longrifles, ML pistols, horns, tomahawks, knives, swords, Colts, Winchesters, Purdeys, custom modern rifles and double shotguns, engraving, etc. Fantastic stuff you've never seen. Views of original longrifles that are in no other book I've found.

this was in another post from last year................bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. The only thing that worries me about that (Steel Canvas) one is that Amazon's description says it focuses on Colts and Winchesters. Still, for $30 I might have to check it out.

Before buying any book, I normally obtain a copy of the book by checking out through the local library. I live in a tiny retirement community and the choice of books is very limited, but, one of the greatest services offered is the intra library lending program.

I have yet to give a title and author to the librarian that she has not tracked the book down for me & I then have it in hand in less than two weeks. I have gotten books from libraries in NYC, DC and such places, and cost for service to you is, nada, zip.

I think that in general, Rifles of Colonial America by Shumway is the best for builders who like early guns. it's in 2 volumes, the first surveys European influences then focuses on Reading, Christian Springs, Lehigh, Northampton, Bucks County, and Lancaster County. Volume 2 moves to Lebanon and York schools, then into guns of unknown origin, then Southern guns, with a few military guns and a Hudson Valley fowler thrown in for good measure. The best part is the book has measurements and many views and closeups. So it is possible to blow the pictures up and get actual plans from these pictures. if you know the length of pull, the length of the barrel, the length of the lock, the thickness at the wrist, etc., you simply blow the pictures up until they are life size and then you have the pattern.

You can buy directly from the author, George Shumway by calling 1-888-748-6929 or by E-Mail at www.shumwaypublisher.com

I believe his price for the hardbound Rifles of Colonial America are about $60 each.

When my wife bought me both volumns for Christmas, George autographed each one.
Not often you can get a world class book with the authors signature in it. :)

Rich
Those are great ideas!!
I have 2 sets, one is the shop set I keep on the bench and the other is in my library for references and I want to keep that set perfectly clean.
George wrote those books not only as good reference material but with builders in mind too.

Regards, Dave

It sounds like Shumway is the way to go. Thanks guys. There are a ton of books out there. It's good to know what the experienced guys find useful.

Back