• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burned!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m surprised by some of the shenanigans that happen in our classified forums. Misleading ads (which is surely the case here!), hijacking posts with off-topic tangents, offering unsolicited critiques, lots of window licking & tire kicking (often by members who have no interest or ability to buy), the list goes on.

Doing any one of these things would get you suspended, and eventually banned, on several other gun & hobby forums I frequent. In fact a couple of them have specific rules that members can’t post in the classified ads AT ALL unless it is to either: 1.) to ask a specific product related question (as an interested potential buyer) or 2.) to say ‘I’ll take it’. That’s it.

In this particular case, the seller has clearly misrepresented the item. He should have to accept the return and refund the buyer given that none of the issues evident in the pistol were disclosed. If not, he should be banned for falsely representing the item. YMMV…

I'm trying not to be vindictive or revengeful but I do feel not replying to my last PM is disrespectful. Heck he could post "go bleep yourself"; at least it would be a response. :)
I agree ,at least a response would be something. Being silent on the matter is not going to make the problem go away since we all (I’m sure) already know who it is but doing the right thing would at least be DOING THE RIGHT THING but as of now those of us who are honest and on here a lot probably won’t even touch anything from this seller. You know if you mess up just say hey, I f’ed up my apologies and move on. It’s that simple.

I bought a revolver from a member here about a month ago, Colt pocket repro. It was listed as a rare version and it had some features I liked; long round barrel and square back trigger guard. Because of the listing and the features I liked I paid a premium for it. What I received was a gun built up from 3 or more guns and with some problems too. Besides the cylinder issue the half cock notch on the hammer is located way off and the pivot hole in the trigger is drilled at an angle rendering these parts unacceptable with no replacement parts available for this gun (knew that beforehand). I have no need for parts and I value the item at less than a quarter of what I paid. I sent the seller a PM (conversation) and the content is below. I feel the message was neither disrespectful, threatening or demanding. The seller has not responded in the month since I sent the PM and I don’t believe he will. I’m not naming him but you could probably find the listing I bought from with a little searching. He has sold a number of guns on the forum and currently has a couple listed. I can only hope other members have better results dealing with him than I did.

“The revolver was built up using parts from three (or more) different revolvers. Because of that I would not call it a rare XYZ factory gun, just a collection of parts.

The wedge and backstrap bear the serial # 3660 and the cylinder has the last 3 digits of the same serial # (660).

The trigger guard and frame bear the serial # 3650.

The barrel assembly carries the serial # 3992.

These parts do not function well together. The barrel-cylinder gap is .020” with the wedge driven in firmly. This is the largest gap I have ever seen on a cap & ball revolver and is way over the maximum. At the junction of the back strap and the front strap where they meet at the toe of the grip there is a .051” gap which someone tried to close with the screw which they buggered up badly. The trigger is at an angle in the guard and the half cock notch is positioned so that if your finger is in the guard when it’s pulled to half cock your finger is painfully trapped in the guard and the only way of freeing it is to go to full cock. I did not disassemble the gun to look inside but it does need work as the bolt doesn’t drop until the hammer is pulled way back past full cock. The bore has a small spot of rust at the muzzle and scattered dark spots through its length. I only took a quick look down the barrel while it was off so I don’t know if its rust on not. I understand all these guns need a little tuning but this one seems to need more than that. I could live with the missing wedge screw, front sight made from a screw and the need for a little work but I feel given all the things listed above that this gun is considerably overpriced and not acceptable. I would like very much to return it for a refund.”

So AITA here or am I justified?
Absolutely! Justified! He knows what he sent you, for sure.

I couldn’t IMAGINE selling someone something bad. The moral implications being one thing, but the forum ridicule that would rightfully follow.The serial numbers alone indicate he knew, especially since he said it was all tuned up. Jeez, seller needs to own up if that is the case. 100% justified you are not the a hole. I hope OP sees a resolve of some sorts, if the seller is done responding it is obviously him who is at fault. I would like to give the seller the benefit of doubt but, I think op is burned as he states it.

Last edited:
This is my last PM to the seller 5 days after the detailed one I quoted in my first post here. I tried to be respectful and truthful and even offered him an easy out. It's always possible we could have come to some kind of agreement short of a full refund but none was offered. I'm tenacious and do mean what I stated in the highlighted quote below.

"I have to assume your response to my previous post is to simply ignore it and hope it will go away (it won't). The issues described above and lack of disclosure can be attributed to simply failing to carefully examine the piece before listing it or to deliberately withholding the issues, which is it?"

Thanks to everyone for the supportive posts, I never thought it would get this far.

This is my last PM to the seller 5 days after the detailed one I quoted in my first post here. I tried to be respectful and truthful and even offered him an easy out. It's always possible we could have come to some kind of agreement short of a full refund but none was offered. I'm tenacious and do mean what I stated in the highlighted quote below.

"I have to assume your response to my previous post is to simply ignore it and hope it will go away (it won't). The issues described above and lack of disclosure can be attributed to simply failing to carefully examine the piece before listing it or to deliberately withholding the issues, which is it?"

Thanks to everyone for the supportive posts, I never thought it would get this far.
Well put👍🏽

Agree that mismatched serial numbers should have been disclosed in seller's description.

Also, seller stated in a response to hawkeye2's thread question that the action worked properly.

hawkeye2 said:
Timing & lockup good? Date code?

Thanks
Seller response:
Timing and lockup are good.
XXV

In my opinion the seller owes hawkeye2 a full refund and return shipping. If the seller continues no response bad behavior they should be banned from selling on the forum or banned completely.

Agree that mismatched serial numbers should have been disclosed in seller's description.

Also, seller stated in a response to hawkeye2's thread question that the action worked properly.

Seller response:
Timing and lockup are good.
XXV

In my opinion the seller owes hawkeye2 a full refund and return shipping. If the seller continues no response bad behavior they should be banned from selling on the forum or banned completely.
Amen.

Thank you, Hawkeye, for bringing this up. I ordered some sheet lead from him back in March, and it never made it. I asked about a refund, but he put it off on me, instead of just refunding the money and filing the paperwork himself. I tried to file it, but the usps uses really vague wording on their instructions and paperwork, making someone who has never filed this stuff think they have to wait for some reply from the claims dept before you can file. Of course, when I finally decided to file it anyway, I was 1 day over the 60-day limit and they refused it.

I was going to just ignore him and the transaction, but after reading your posts and everyone's replies, I gave him negative feedback this evening. I wonder who else can, also....???

Seller was posting in "Firearms For Sale" just this morning.

I sold him a Rogers & Spencer repro revolver with worn, but original plumb bluing a few months ago. The deal went fine. He apparently thought I sold it too cheaply, as he immediately tried to flip it at a much higher price. No takers, so then he pulled it, and was going to "mint it out" (meaning cold blue) or something like that, and re-list it. There were a few folks who posted great interest in seeing it after he worked his "mojo". I never saw it listed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back