• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bushy Tail again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen I thank you for your compliments. Mike Small made my horn. The upper is a young squirrel and the bottom is just normal size for one of our fat and sassy nut/corn fed greys.
Tom Black
Cantucky

:bow: :hmm: I had a feeling it was one of Mike's horns. He has a real talent and I have always enjoyed his work. I've met him a couple times and ya can't find a more down to earth craftsman out there, great guy. thanks YMHS Birdman

I hate them real big old squirrels. It takes for ever to skin them things. The meat just is so tough on the old ones so a lot of the times I would prefer to just not shoot them.

Luie,
The old tough ones go into the crock pot for about 1/2 day. Even an old fox squirrel comes out tender.
Tom Black
Cantucky

You can also "age" the meat in your refrigerator, putting it in bowls, and rotating it, and cleaning out the blood 2x a day for a week. That tenderizes, and removes some of the bloody flavor so many people find objectionable. Bone the meat, of course. The bones and fat, and connecting tissue contain enzymes that toughen the meat, and sour it. The young squirrels can usually be eaten the same day. Leave the big ones for the next weekend!

I once had some Squirrel Stew that was just wonderful, and all the squirrel meat was tender, and tasty. It had been cooked down in a pot for several hours, and wet recipes like that are the way to tenderize old squirrels, too.

to get the blood out just soak rhem in salt water for about an hour and then rinse with fresh water

think your good? this is what my kitty left for me on my lawn. and she don't even know how to shoot blackpowder!
110409_13201.jpg
:grin:

Back