• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buyers Beware Cabelas!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cschibi

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have purchased several weapons from Cabelas over the years...

But I have to say that they have distanced themselves from making a profit and supporting their customers! Case in point.

They sell the 1861 ArmiSport Springfield rifle. What they don't support is the fact that these require "RWS Musket Caps" and are designed to support ".577 Minie Balls. There is no information to support this as they sell a $900 product and leave you to fend for yourself. I have had a very challenging task to just get myself to be able to fire this musket for the first time. "Still have not been able to accomplish" BTW..;

I want folks to know that Cabelas does NOT care that you spend almost $1000 and cannot buy the accessories needed to fire this weapon for the first time.... REALLY!!!!

Please Help me make a statement...here! There are folks making commissions based on our purchases that result in our inability to realize our passion....

This is not right....I am ******...

Sincerely,

Help me make a statement here!

Don't sell a product that you cannot acquire the necessary accessories for a customer to utilize and appreciate their purchase!

IS that to much to ask....?

I can't get too excited about that Chris. They also sell meat grinders and sausage seasoning, but don't sell meat. :wink: :grin:

One more clarification...on this (Soap Box)

I would expect that a major retailer like Calbelas would do the research on a product that they are reselling, to include the necessary items (products and accessories) to facilitate a complete customer experience.

Maybe my expectations are mis-aligned with a Major Retailers objectives? Hey blame me.. as I am an un-reasonable consumer.

Please make your purchase decisions accordingly...

Sincerely,

I'm not sure why you say it can only shoot RWS Musket caps.

To the best of my knowledge RWS (Dynamite Nobel) Musket caps are virtually the same as CCI Musket caps and Remington Musket caps.

The size of Musket Caps was standardized over 140 years ago and except for the "3 wing" and "4 wing" splits in the caps flange they are all about the same.

Also, because the Rifled musket was a military gun it has a very stout mainspring that should be capable of firing even non conforming Musket caps without too much difficulty.

All of the common civil war Rifled Muskets were either .58 caliber (US guns) or .577 caliber (British).
They were designed to shoot a .575 or .577 diameter lead Minie' Ball which is loaded without using a patch. Just the greased bare slug rammed down the bore to the powder charge.

In those days and in battle they weren't looking for target accuracy, just weight of lead sent downrange.

Mr. Zonie..

I am just going off recommendations supplied via this Forum. I have read several posts that have indicated that the new CCI musket caps have been re-designed for Re-enactments and are not as reliable for hunting or other high reliability shooting activities than suppliers of the German RWS Musket Caps. If I have mis-intrepreted this fact then please correct me as that would make me very HAPPY.

I haven't used the 'redesigned' CCI Musket caps so I can't say how good/bad they are.

I do know the re-enactors prefer their caps not to fragment for safety reasons so it is possible that the amount of fulminate has been reduced.
I really don't know.
I'm still using some old Navy Arms Musket Caps I bought 25 years ago. (when you buy 1000 caps for guns you don't often shoot they last for years. :grin: )

That doesn't mean they won't fire the gun.
After all, the re-enactors fire their guns all the time as they are recreating mock battles.

RWS has long been known to produce some of the most powerful caps, both in #10, #11 and Musket types so I have no doubts they will give the best dependability but that doesn't mean they are the ONLY caps that will work.

OBTW...

My primary complaint here is that Cabelas does not sell (Musket Caps) either CCI or RWS for this product on this thread.

Nor do they support any of the variations of Swaged Lead Balls or Nipple Conversions, or Minie Balls that are consistent with this products history. I guess that I am being absurd in assuming that that they (Cabelas) should consider the enthusiast when purchasing this product...and offer product alternatives that realize the value of the product....

My Bad! I am sure i am just being un-reasonable here.

Sincerely,

Really no joke? I used to hunt with CCI musket caps and those are no longer made for that purpose?

Greg

Chris S. said:
OBTW...

I guess that I am being absurd in assuming that that they (Cabelas) should consider the enthusiast when purchasing this product...and offer product alternatives that realize the value of the product....

My Bad! I am sure i am just being un-reasonable here.

Sincerely,

Not bad necessarily, but IMO a bit unreasonable perhaps - at least nothing to get one's knickers in a knot over since all the necessary accoutrements can be easily purchased elsewhere.

Look at this way - Based on your logic than should all custom gun makers also be required to sell the accoutrements required to shoot their guns? Should custom knife makers also be required to sell sheaths and sharpening equipment - some do, but the fact is a lot of knife makers are poor sheath makers for instance - so it's normal/best with those makers to acquire the necessary sheath from some one who does make a quality item.

Anyway as always others mileage will vary......

Have you tried the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio?
They often have flints/ caps, balls, etc. and their good people to deal with.

You would have to phone them or send them a E-Mail because their web site doesn't have much in the way of a web catalog.
http://www.logcabinshop.com/

Talking to them would give you a up to the minute status of their supply of musket caps on hand and they can probably give you the real poop about CCI's musket caps.

Phone: (330) 948-1082

or E-Mail (which might take them a while to answer)

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line...

I have spent over $1200 dollars and i still cannot shoot my new 1861 Springfield musket...Really...

What am i doing wrong... I must be the dumbest person in the world..!

Really! HELP!
!

Sportsman warehouse carries them! When you need something just Google the product and you will be surprised what comes up! :grin:

Help with what? Google up local BP specialty retailers in the KC area for you? If you have something against small specialty retailers and insist on going Big Box, have you tried Bass Pro or Sportsman's Warehouse?
Sorry, guess I'm missing something.
Good luck.
Regards,
Mike

PS: Rogue beat me to the "send" button!

Mr. Zonie.

Thank you for the referral!

Yes, I have already found that log Cabin has the right size minie balls necessary for my musket. I have already purchased .577 minie balls from them. (Thank God!).

I have not yet tasked them for musket caps. ( I do have a pending order from Taylor & Co for 1000 musket caps). I don't know when this will be fulfilled. Hopefully this will all happen Soon.

Respectively,

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris S.

believe me, i feel your pain..

can you imagine my shock and awe when i tried to 'complete' my accessory list after purchasing a LeMat through cabela's ! !

no GOEX powder (i needed FF and FFF), no #2 (.270cal) buckshot, no wads or cards, the list just kept getting longer and longer - BUT - that brought me into much better outlets that DO care about the whole experience like TOTW, theGunWorks, DixieGunworks, and even LogCabinOnline.

you probably know the old saw about life and lemons, why not make some lemonade... you'll be up and shooting in short order, trust me.

:thumbsup:
~dg~

Yes, Thank you for the acknowledgement!

Let me ask this question, are we unrealistic as consumers....?

We (I) spend (Extra) with our hard earned dollars and expecting some acknowledgment that we made the right purchasing decision to use Cabelas because they are the (marketed) LEADER in OutFitter Sportsman's Needs? And yet, Why do they remain silent on this assertion?

Let's await some acknowledgment from this (multi-Million dollar retailer) to see where we stand?

Sincerely,

I've been using the new CCI caps on my Armisport 1861 and 1842 as well as a Zoli Zouave and an original 1861 Springfield with no problems. If I run across something better I will surely get it but for now they are working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back