• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buyers Beware Cabelas!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cynthialee said:
I think the guy has a valid point.

Selling the gun without the stuff to shoot it is dumb. Sorta like selling me a car but telling me I need to go buy the spark plugs in anouther store. (omg, did I just type spark plug?!, I am showing my age...)

Its about the "I" word.
Inventory.
If the stuff sells slow its not stocked in some areas if its in stock too long it costs money, profits drop. Minie balls are heavy and expensive and a store like Cabela's would have them in stock for far too long from the bean counters standpoint.

If you buy the car at a big three dealer (big 10 maybe?) you would WANT to buy the sparkplugs someplace else. The markup at these places on parts is extreme in most cases.

Dan

I mostly agree. The downside is that, as usual, it's all manufactured overseas because we send them there. A cup of water at a time will eventually drain a swimming pool.

Wow... Great Advise! Thank you to everyone who took the time to provide a thoughtful response to my rant!

Thank you to the folks who offered local resources as well.

Sincerely,

I'm always amazed that Cabela's handles as much traditional muzzleloading stuff in their catalogs/online as they do. They may not have everything for everyone, but compared to many other very large chains, they have a LOT of different black powder guns and accessories. Many of their large (call them "big box" if you will) competitors don't have anywhere near as much.

I've always found Cabela's to be extremely customer oriented and especially flexible in returns.

it's not too rare. I know that old Bass Pro in Arlington... Mesquite? doesn't have musket caps, but for a while they did sell funnels for the few blackpowder guns they sold that fit musket caps.

You might have to face the truth on this one - we are in a weird hobby! Like watchmakers, and blacksmiths, few people do what we do and we shouldn't expect a store to have everything. Heck we're lucky that these stores have anything at all. But thank goodness they do.
If in doubt, go to Track of the Wolf, a website that is 100% sure to have it. That, or it doesn't exist.
I'd be more angry about charging almost a grand for an imported gun! (*waves little flag*)

On the other hand, our local gun shop sells only inline guns fired by 209 primers, sabot bullets and subs. Yet they sell #11 caps and round balls.

What you're saying is, they should dump the round balls and #11 because they don't sell the guns.

Looking at the same horse from the reverse side.

You are our new brother and we welcome you. I have long admired those fancy cap fired muskets and was eying a Springfield.

We must also give you a bit of guidance. This is a "do it yourself" and "make things happen" environment. We make tools and supplies because nobody has what we "need" or we take pride in the doing. We order many things from far away because the local shop caters to the mainstream and that ain't us. We drive ridiculous distances to get what we want; meet each other and/or attend classes. This may seem odd to the rest of the world, but not to us. Hang in there, it will come to you.

Now, look up the NSSA site and read about their particular musket info, order some quality components and make smoke! Then come back and crow with us,

CS

Dan Phariss said:
cynthialee said:
I think the guy has a valid point.

Selling the gun without the stuff to shoot it is dumb. Sorta like selling me a car but telling me I need to go buy the spark plugs in anouther store. (omg, did I just type spark plug?!, I am showing my age...)

Its about the "I" word.
Inventory.
If the stuff sells slow its not stocked in some areas if its in stock too long it costs money, profits drop. Minie balls are heavy and expensive and a store like Cabela's would have them in stock for far too long from the bean counters standpoint.

If you buy the car at a big three dealer (big 10 maybe?) you would WANT to buy the sparkplugs someplace else. The markup at these places on parts is extreme in most cases.

Does your car dealer sell gasoline? I'm having a hard time finding liquid Coleman fuel - even where Coleman lanterns and stoves are sold.

Cabelas sells outboards and generators but not gasoline. They probably don't offer Musket primers because no one who deals with them wants to spend the $25 hazardous materials fee and there was zero call for them. I bet they don't sell flints, either.

Chris S. said:
There is no information to support this as they sell a $900 product and leave you to fend for yourself.
Really? The next time you buy clothes, ask the salesman how they expect you to wash and iron them. Insist that they also sell washers, dryers and ironing boards and see what they say.

BTW, my butcher doesn't sell stoves either. :wink:

All in fun, but you get the idea. :grin:

I agree.But my question is why go into Cabellas at all.They are way overpriced on most everything considering comparable quality.

The Fort Osage guys are very nice and should be able to help you out they also put on a nice shoot in Holden also.

I drop by their website occasionally just in case they go plumb nuts and mark down the Dance Bros six shooter to pre-quantitative easing prices. Not too sure about the design but dangit I want one.

Like most here, I really don't see what the big deal is. Yes, I do think you are expecting a little too much. Do you want them to load and shoot it for you too? Cabela's is a big box store, the have a lot of overhead and have to make money. I'm sure that blackpowder firearms and supplies do not sell as well as .30-06's and 3-9x scopes. Consider yourself lucky that you can handle one before buying it. My only options are BassPro or Dixie Gun Works, both of which are over 2hrs away and in opposite directions. Guess what, I don't always find everything I need at Dixie Gun Works either! I haven't been to a small blackpowder specialty store since I lived in Florida. You have to find what you like and where to find it. I seriously doubt that in any sport you can find everything in one place. Life would be boring if you could.

Most car dealers don't sell gasoline.

Sorry, that point was already made.

Please, no more on this topic...!

I have to admit my "emotional and irrational" rant has added ZERO value to this most respected forum. My inexperience and unrealistic perspective has put me in check! Thank you all for your insight and patience with me.

I have learned a valuable lesson here. Thank you to those who have reached out to me in spite of my behavior. I will learn and eventually add value to this forum I promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back