• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying a Snaplock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithen

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I am thinking about buying a snaplock, been looking around a little bit and have found that its very hard to find one (atleast for me). I was wondering if anyone could point me in the correct direction or give me any information. So far I have found this, http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/snaplocks/(685).htm , which I like a lot but being a normal college student I am, I have no money :rotf: so any help would be awesome!

Thanks!
Tyler

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a beautiful choice, and BIG! I would look up Odd Fellow, who just finished a snaphaunce, and see if he can help you with this. You might be his first commercial client!

One vastly experienced builder who might help is Leonard Day at 413-527-0184.

The Rifle Shoppe does superb work from my experience. I'm just a connoisseur, not a builder. But sometimes they are SLOWWWW! Actually that might work to your advantage by allowing you to spread payments.

Let us know what happens!

Thanks.

Pete

He doesnt have to search me out!

Heres the finished product

Snaphaunce Fowler
The snaplock would be a whole lot easier to build than this and I have been eying that one for a while!

Thats a great choice!

Odd fellow, you might give Leonard Day a call yourself. If you can apprentice with him on vacations or summers, you could learn a LOT! He's also very supportive and open. All around, my experience is that he's a great contact for you both.

You think he would be interested?

And if so how much do you think it would cost?

And where is he?

He's in far western Massachusetts. No harm in calling and asking. He's the only gunmaker I know who is focusing on the 17th Century and still runs a solid business in a timely manner. Also his guns are 100% historically accurate; if he doesn't have access to an original which is a model for what he makes, he doesn't make it. Learning good business techniques and ethics is a good place to start too.

Odd Fellow: Did you call Leonard yet? And do you offer quantity discounts if these two both order? Have a great Thursday!

I haven't contacted him as of today, tomorrow I am calling a man about a cane he wants made. I may call Leonard over the weekend.

And the cost would have to be discussed in private. But I can work with yall to a point

Back