• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas Blue Ridge Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey90

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at Cabelas yesterday in East Hartford and I got to handle the Blue Ridge Flintlock Rifle. Does anyone have one? I like to know if its worth the investment. Use it for hunting and at the range. It looks like a good shooter and feels real nice. Thank You, Kerry

I've got the same gun in 50 cal wearing the Persoli Frontier label. Mine's a goodun, as others on here have reported. Accurate, reliable and easy to shoot well. So good in fact that I'm seriously thinking about picking up another in 32 or 36 caliber. I'm not a competitor, but based on the shooting I've done with mine, if you miss it will be your fault and not the gun. And at least in 50 cal, the balance is just about right for offhand shooting. Not too muzzleheavy, but just enough there to steady you down, while the gun is surprisingly light. It's a fer sure fine hunting rifle, and I'd sure need to do some serious load testing before I could say it wasn't also a good competitor.

I have the 50 cal as well. Good gun for hunting. You will have the carefully file the front site down to zero it in but once there it shoots where you point it. Single ragged hole from a bench at 50yards all the time. 1.5 to 2 inch from a bench at 100.

Mike Brooks said:
I have always thought they were about as lively as a fence post.

I came to that conclusion about mine a couple years back and livened it up myself. I'm not too crazy about the shape of the butt. However, it does shoot great and has been reliable.

I like the shape of th Butt...infact so much that I also own an Austen Halleck which is similarly styled in the Butt area.
My Frontier is a .36 and is a great gun for the $$$...nice weight, and accurate as Heck!

Bought mine about 8 years ago in .32 cal. The stock ain't the prettiest wood I've ever seen, but it puts the ball exactly where I'm lookin( if I do my part ). I've gotten more tree rats with it than some people have ever seen. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Good luck on whatever you decide on. Vern

I got mine from Cabela's over 15 years ago in .45. It was my first flinter. It is a straight shooter and a sure sparker. I've used mine in competition and for hunting. About three years ago they jumped their prices, too high I think. At today's price, I would look at some of the semi-custom rifles before you laid any money down. Even some of the custom rifles in kit form or in the white would not be much more. They are about the same price range. Check these out: http://www.avsia.com/tvm/ , http://www.earlyrusticarms.com/ , http://tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com/ and http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/ . I really love mine, but would never pay the price they are asking now.

Last edited by a moderator:
cowpoke1955 said:
...It is a straight shooter and a sure sparker...About three years ago they jumped their prices...At today's price, I would look at some of the semi-custom rifles...love mine, but would never pay the price they are asking now.
Couldn't have said it better. It's a pretty good rifle in flint, but you can do better for the money.

That ain't to say you won't be happy - if you're set on a Blue Ridge/Frontier (they're the same rifle), go for it and enjoy it. It is a good rifle.

Just understand that you could have a rifle of maybe twice the quality (Spot's opinion) for just a couple hundred more dollars.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I agree with cowpoke. I have one in 36 cal. When I bought it it was right around 359.00 I think. Now if I remember correctly they are pushing 600. For just I bit more you could get a nice semi custom gun. It would be a nice lock ,stock, and barrel and American built and american parts. To buy replacement parts if something were to break on a pedersoli are extremely high. They are a good gun ,I just think the are alittle to proud of them. I'm in the process of redoing mine. Stripped the finish and going to thin the fore arm alittle bit. They are alittle plain looking. just my opinion. Andy :v

I still have the .45 I purchased as my first flint gun years ago when the prices were still decent.

Not nearly worth what they’re asking these days. And you would be purchasing an Italian-made item, rather than American.

The nice thing about folks talking them down, they get unloaded pretty frequently and at decent prices.

I bought mine for $250. In the factory box. With two bullet molds. With 5 boxes of factory balls and bullets and about 1000 home cast. With a dozen flints. With two pounds of Goex 3f.

Keep on ragging them folks. Maybe next time I can get a better deal. :hatsoff:

Brownbear,

That’s awesome. But I don’t suppose you bought it new from cabelas or at wholesale? Or if you did, has it been a while?

What I’m saying is, it is an excellent gun when the price is good. I got mine during one of cabelas sales, and it was great. Right now you would have to buy it used.

However, Pedersoli has priced itself out of the market with their newest price hike. The fact that they offer a “deluxe” version for over 1 grand is ridiculous. You can buy a custom, American-made gun made to your specs for less than that. I really liked that gun, and it suited my purposes, but I eventually wanted something with good historic architecture as well as a swamped barrel. This was all for just a little more than what Pedersoli is currently selling the Frontier for.

It is a good gun for shooting if the price is right, and you’re not concerned about its historic accuracy. Nothing wrong with that, it will kill a dear all the same. But if you’re not concerned about its architecture, furniture, lock, and barrel being a good historic representation, there are some other guns for cheaper than the frontier. They will also kill a deer just the same. I guess if you just really like the way that the Frontier looks compared to some other tick-licking factory muzzleloaders, and don’t mind paying more for that”¦

It balances alright, but is nothing like a swamped barrel. The trigger pull is ridiculously long. The lock needs serious tuning for it not to crash rocks (I have no experience with the percussion model.) Some people like the rear buckhorn site, although I do not, and many replace both front and rear on this gun.

If you had my lock you would rag it to. Its the same lock that was on my .36 Hatfield that had problems. I paid 400.00 for mine. Dilly

Latest posts

Back