• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cabela's hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In factory condition it beat the crud out of my cheek

recoil's not a worry,i qual'd on the barret .50BMG while i was in the service and regularly hunted with a .300 winmag.

This is not a recoil issue. It's a stock fit issue. Cabela's Hawken stock has very little drop at the comb but that may work out ok for you.
Ken

Packdog said:
In factory condition it beat the crud out of my cheek

recoil's not a worry,i qual'd on the barret .50BMG while i was in the service and regularly hunted with a .300 winmag.

This is not a recoil issue. It's a stock fit issue. Cabela's Hawken stock has very little drop at the comb but that may work out ok for you.
Ken

fair enough. i imagine i'll see how it is. if it comes down to it, i have the ability to carve myself a stock, thank goodness.

Don't confuse a " LYMAN " GPR, with a Leman Style rifle. Leman made guns back in the early 19th century that were thought to be every bit as rugged as the Hawken rifles. Lyman is a current manufacturer of Hawken style rifles.

i hadn't, but i'll keep it in mind. i'm kind of sold on cabela's hawken, it seems to offer everything i'm looking for without having to do any special ordering, from the same manufacturer lyman uses, so odds are pretty good i'm going to be getting the same parts. it would seem the only complaint anyone really has is the sights, and since i was considering building with a T/C peep in place anyways...

and of course cabela's has a set of lyman sights that fit right into their hawken.

The Cabela's is a good choice. I have one that I bought used in .50 caliber and then bought a Lyman Trade rifle barrel in .54 as a drop in replacement. Fit right in and shoots right well... :grin:

i'm feeling better and better about choosing the cabela's gun. sights aside, it seems that the big gripes with it and the lyman guns are the usual flintlock gripes, getting reliable ignition/proper flint wear/fast spark/etc that come with just about all flintlocks.

now, i suppose, my other question is: does anyone have a lee .375 conical pistol mold they don't need/want anymore? hah.

but yes, feeling pretty good about the .50 cal. sure, it could be a .54, but from talking around, the .50 is just as effective with heavy conicals and proper bullet placement.

at first, i was a .50 caliber person DO TO BEING ABLE TO GET SUPPLIES .

but now i feel the .54 cal is better choice.

but, if you buy local or even at big stores, its hard to find things for .54 cal,lots of things for .50 cal.

so, if you use internet to order,.54 cal is way i would go.

I have to agree with Packdog. I have a cabela's Hawken in .58 and it beats the cr@p out of my cheek. It's not a recoil issue, it smacks me with 70 grains or 100 grains, it doesn't seem to care for me :wink: I can shoot it about 10 times before I put it away.

Kurt

i'll keep the comb/recoil issue in mind, kurt. i'm used to shooting hot magnums from a rifle with a high comb, so we'll see how it goes.

i've been tossing the .50/.54/.58 issue around in my head, and since i'm going to be getting molds for my blackpowder guns, ammunition isn't a problem. wads, also, aren't a problem, fabric stores and a plug-cutter solve that issue(i have no problem with the DIY approach). i think it's more a suitability issue, kind of like how i don't go deer hunting with my .300 magnum, but with the .44 mag carbine. it's better suited to the job, overall. of course, the .44 is suited to nearly any job, but the .300 does pack that greater reach and power for situations where it is indeed suited.

the .50 will do the job(as it did the job for a lot of guys many moons ago), and if i feel it's not up to it, i'll swap up to a .54 barrel and rock that out.

Latest posts

Back