• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas Hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wink

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What can you tell me about Cabelas Hawkins rifles? Who makes them and how do they perform?

Wink said:
What can you tell me about Cabelas Hawkins rifles? Who makes them and how do they perform?
They're made by Investarms, the same company that produces guns for Lyman. I have one in 50 Cal. with the 28" barrel. I love mine. It's built very beefy with vert good wood to metal match up. The wood and grain on mine are also very nice. It shoots really well and is very accurate. It took about 500 shots to break in the barrel. The only thing I don't like is all the manure written on the barrel.

My brother-in-law has one,The lock wouldn't spark, the mainspring was the coil type and was weak and I had to replace the lock with a L&R RPL lock...that's about all I know,haven't shot it....George F.

Gosh that's unfortunate you had problems with that gun. Cabelas is very good about replacing things.

For me, I've had nothing but good things to say about my Cabelas .54 hawken. Never a problem. :hatsoff:

Just got done cleaning my .54 after shooting about 50 rounds this afternoon. I'm still trying to decide between roundballs and maxi-balls for hunting this fall, but I was shooting about 1 1/2" groups (3 shots) at 100 yards with my elbow resting on the hood of my truck.

The only issue I had with it today was a few hangfires, but I think that it was getting pretty dirty, and I was hesitant to run patches between shots.

Fit and finish is pretty good. I really like the triggers -- set and hunting. Much better than the crappy pull on my Thompson Center Hawken. I agree with the other poster, in that the wood is very nice and it is very beefy.

I bought a 50 cal Hawken from Cabela's in December, I have shot it at our monthly shoots since then and absolutely love it. Serves my purposes nicely.
Bearclaw :thumbsup:

shifty-eyed critter said:
Just got done cleaning my .54 after shooting about 50 rounds this afternoon. I'm still trying to decide between roundballs and maxi-balls for hunting this fall, but I was shooting about 1 1/2" groups (3 shots) at 100 yards with my elbow resting on the hood of my truck.

The only issue I had with it today was a few hangfires, but I think that it was getting pretty dirty, and I was hesitant to run patches between shots.

Fit and finish is pretty good. I really like the triggers -- set and hunting. Much better than the crappy pull on my Thompson Center Hawken. I agree with the other poster, in that the wood is very nice and it is very beefy.

I guess the only thing I found that I did not care for was the stock nipple. Hole seemed a little small. I use aftermarket nipples now that have bigger hole and doesn't seem to be prone to hang fires after a lot of shooting. :hatsoff:

They are a good quality,strong,and accurate rifle ,you realy can't go wrong for the price,and they are available in left hand also.

My son assembled one from a Cabela's kit and I was impressed with the overall quality of the gun. I assembled a Lyman GPR at about the same time and his shot much better than my Lyman for quite a while before I sorted mine out. His seems to shoot both round ball and conicals pretty well. Overall a very good value in my opinion.

john12865 said:
Wink said:
They're made by Investarms, the same company that produces guns for Lyman. I have one in 50 Cal. with the 28" barrel. I love mine. It's built very beefy with vert good wood to metal match up. The wood and grain on mine are also very nice. It shoots really well and is very accurate. It took about 500 shots to break in the barrel. The only thing I don't like is all the manure written on the barrel.
The "manure" that is written on the barrell?Couldn't you file it off and then re-finish your barrell?Is there more stamped on your Hawkin than any other?

I love mine. Well built, good shooting, reasonably priced. Mine has only seen about 100 rounds and it seems to be getting more accurate.
My only thing is the packaging, Ive heard lots of people have had problems with mishandled packages leading to damage firearms. But cabelas is good about it, send it in, they pay shipping and send ya another.

Boone

I love mine it is very accurate, I would be a little hesitant to remove the markings expecially if you sell the rifle down the road some idiot who needs the instruction might benifit from them.

I've got a .50 Cabela's Sporterized Carbine. It was made by Investarms. I love the way the gun fits, shoots and carries. Looks pretty good too. It seems to be quite the sabot shooter and is quite gentle on the shoulder.

I've found that I get misfires if I don't push the cap onto the nipple very firmly. Might need to turn down the shank of the nipple a little with emery cloth.

The inletting behind the lock is very rough looking...not as neatly done as my TCs. But with the lock in place, you never see it.

If you pay attention to the manual that comes with it (and you should) the maximum load for conicals will be 80 gr. 2f. That's a bit light compared to the 100gr. or so that TC allows. Still, I've found time and again that going above 90 grs. of 2f/RS when shooting conicals in .50s is mostly a waste of time and powder.

They're practical, well made guns at a good price.
FWIW
Bob

I read the description of the Cabela's Hawken in thier catalog. It says they have a 29" barrel. Is this the measurement including the breach plug, or just the barrel? Also they do not give the size of the barrel across the flats. Maybe you could let us know what these dimensions are on your .54? :confused:

Halftail said:
john12865 said:
Wink said:
The "manure" that is written on the barrell?Couldn't you file it off and then re-finish your barrell?Is there more stamped on your Hawkin than any other?

Cabela's in big letters on the top flat, in addition to the usual stupid stuff. Almost as much as is written here! :rotf: It will annoy me to the point that some day I will, in a fit of uncontrolable rage file it off. :grin:

Back