• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Calculating bore volume

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Paul, I have a 34-inch barrel. I spent several days shooting at 25, 50 and 75 yards with various powder weights to see what grouped best. I found this rifle really likes 85 gr., near the theoretical calculation of 95 grains but nowhere near the shoulder busting loads some people have recommended. Once again this site has provided me with valuable information!

You should be able to find a target load for 25 and 50 yd. target practice, at about 60 grains, that will recoil even less, but deliver very good accuracy. You may have to play a bit with patch thickness and lubes, but the lighter load will save you money and let you practice more before your shoulder says, " NO more, today!" :thumbsup:

I went ahead and got the Cabelas .58 Hawken I mentioned in an earlier post. It has a 28-inch barrel. After figuring the bore volume, as a cylinder, and multiplying by 11.5 I came up with a charge weight of 85 point something grains. Does that seem about right?

Yup. 85.0 grains. :)

Again, the thing to remember is your gun can shoot more powder than this up to the maximum recommended by the manufacturer and the balls/bullets velocity will increase.
The recoil will increase too not just because of the additional velocity of the ball/bullet but because the weight of the powder/gas is also being accelerated out of the barrel.

85.0 grains is all that short barrel will burn efficiently. But, remember, you are pushing a 279 grain ball out that barrel. That is 63 % of an ounce, and that is a lot of LEAD! You don't have to send it down range any faster.

My Hodgdon Data manual shows 80 grains of FFg behind that PRB will produce 1302 Fps MV. That is all you will ever need to kill a deer, within 100 yards. Since most deer are killed inside 50 yards, you have a good working deer rifle that will do its part if you do yours.

There is NO need to shoot conicals out of it. All that does is add recoil, but not accuracy. The conicals will penetrate completely through a deer, expending their energy on the dirt beyond. A PRB will flatten on impact, make a larger entry and pass-through, primary wound channel, and a much larger exit wound, if the ball exits, rather than hitting a large bone.

You should work on some practice loads in the 60-70 grains area, using FFg powder, to find a light recoiling load so you can really practice shooting that gun before the deer season this Fall. The more correct practice you do, the more accurate in placing the ball where you want it to go you will be when you get a shot at a deer during the season.

With these large bore caliber guns, I am convinced its BOTH the LARGE DIAMETER of a RB, AND, ITS WEIGHT, that makes it such a tremendous killing machine on light skinned game, like deer. If you read the hunting topic on the forum, there are plenty of pictures and true stories of deer and Elk being taken by members using .58 caliber rifles. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back