• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camel Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kapow said:
As far as eating, skinning or otherwise using them forget it, too much effort for too little reward. It will be shoot, photograph, repeat. And as far as burying dead camels goes, the farmers complain about the resulting speed humps! :wink:

I was wondering about that (the skinning eating and using part), because I was wondering how many "Possibles Bags" you could make out of a tanned Camels hide? It would be different.

If they are spooky as heck out in that desolate area without any cover, how do you get in muzzleloader range?

Also, though I don't doubt the numbers you give, it seems odd that the population should sky rocket like that considering they almost always have just one calf (camlet?). Hogs have huge litters and breed multiple times/year but camels have a much slower reproductive rate.

Evidently Australia is in dire need of knowledgeable biologists, skilled game managers and honest politicians.

Your country is at odds w/ most other countries....being "over run" w/ undesireable animals. The "hair brained" ideas of importing rabbits, camels, donkeys and horses and mismanaging the kangaroo populations leads one to believe that the "powers that be" are totally incompetent. Why do you persist is having such incompetents manage your wildlife resources?

Don't think killing one camel matters much in the scheme of things.....so go for it. Hopefully you'll eat the meat and let us know your opinion.

I think Australia is really "missing the boat" w/ its huge populations of undesireable animals. Where's the "hype" fromn your tourist board extolling the opportunities for foreign "hunters" to kill wholesale numbers of these animals...reminiscent of the wholesale slaughter of the American bison.

The addt'l revenues from this "foreign money" would contribute to the tax coffers and reduce the number of these wrongly introduced, undesireable "outcast animals"......Fred

are the hides worth tanning?

Interesting question.
Brings back a childhood memory. I was about 8 years old when my uncle came home from WWII. He brought purses made from camel for all the women in the family. Those purses stunk just sumptin horrible, and strong. You could smell one a block away downwind. :barf: When there was a family gathering and six or more purses were in the house at one time it was a major gagger. But, in those days no one criticized a war hero at all. And he was a hero, five tanks blown out from under him many friends killed, multiple injuries, etc.
No matter those camel bags stunk and they never really wore out.
I guess the answer is....yes. :haha:

It is easy to make a comment about another country from a distant perch so I won't get my nose out of joint but I will put you straight. Firstly without all those introduced species - buffalo, deer, foxes, pigs goats etc etc we would not have anything but giant mice to hunt.

Many Americans come here hunting and the price of the critters they hunt has gone through the roof making it out of reach for ordinary Aussies. No offence but the American SCI cheque book hunter does a lot of damage to us peasants not just here but in places like Sth Africa and NZ too.

The problem with managing ferals is the sheer size of the country (about the same as mainland USA) relative to the population which mostly exist on the eastern and western coastal fringes. That is what keeps amateur hunters and shooters open to accessing private property. It also means we can hunt all year round if we choose
- no seasons, no tags and mostly you have the bush to yourself. I hope it doesn't change in my lifetime.

2 Tall - you are a loose canon!

Speaking of leather, I have a tanned back skin from a zebra I got mounted. I would love to get it made into a shooting bag. What do you all think? Too "Jackson 5?"

I like your answear. I have to say I kinda get a little antsy when I hear things like 'invasive species' ...All species came from some wher elese and replaced 'natives' or died out. Except for opposums marsupials are a failed animal and can't compest with plactial mammels. Thats why they died out 50 million years ago. They used to be thick in south america until the land bridge with north america opened up...then an invasive migration took place. north american camels (LLamas)moved south oppossum moved north. all other marsupials in south america became extinced. Its the circle of life...I just hope if there are any martians they can tolerate us...or we can tolerate them.

I just hope they have little tv antennas that pop up like the guy on "my favourite martian"! I'd also like to point out to any extra terrestrials that may be following the forum that I may be of considerable use to them if kept alive, post invasion. :rotf:

flehto said:
Your country is at odds w/ most other countries....being "over run" w/ undesireable animals. The "hair brained" ideas of importing rabbits, camels, donkeys and horses and mismanaging the kangaroo populations leads one to believe that the "powers that be" are totally incompetent.

YEA! We imported love bugs, fire ants, & killer bees. Horses! :slap: What were you guys thinking?

:rotf:

armakiller said:
I was wondering about that (the skinning eating and using part), because I was wondering how many "Possibles Bags" you could make out of a tanned Camels hide? It would be different.
Wondered the same of cat... Single serving and bag size? Lotsa variation too, fur side out, right!?

:hmm:

Kapow said:
Speaking of leather, I have a tanned back skin from a zebra I got mounted. I would love to get it made into a shooting bag. What do you all think? Too "Jackson 5?"

Hey baby, give it one more chance...

I'd make a Zulu-shaped shield of it (though they were actually cowhide) and display it next to a nice assegai!

:wink:

Populations of invasive species irrespective as to how they were introduced into a country seem to "run amok" in Australia......but, you seem to prefer that because of the year around hunting opportunities and private land access because of the land owners wanting to get rid of the invasive species which they consider a serious problem.

So....2 different opinions asre the overpopulations of invasive species?

You blame American hunters' money for "ruining it" for the amateur Australian hunter....who has year 'round hunting on private land for over populations of invasive animals and kangaroos? Sounds to me as something I could appreciate as a hunter.

Evidently much of Australia's uninhabitable interior is given no heed or consideration by the general populace who in turn elect politicians who don't care either.

Probably won't visit Australia, but admire it's people who have a high standard of living and generally have good gov't. Just puzzled as to the reasons why invasive species and some domestic species overpopulate in Australia.......Fred

Fred;
Two words -- low taxes!

And at least the Aussies don't send lawyers, guns, and money to THEIR invasive species...

In a word, no predators, oops, two words. Except the dingo which in fact is an invasive species brought by the Aboriginals. In fact the kangaroos etc have never had it so good, there are more of them now than ever which is why they are culled for pet food. That is because of the culling of dingoes to protect sheep and other stock and the improvement of pastures.

To solve the over populations of invasive species....put a large bounty on these animals or render a huge tax discount on proof of unlimited kills.

Also...where are the Australian entrepreneurs who would take advantage of these money making opportunities? Or....hire money grubbing American entrepreneurs....they'd make "short work" of all the surplus invasive animals. In fact, when they're done, bag limits would have to be imposed.

Or...utilize animal birth control...."spike" their food. Many ways to skin a cat.

I think Australia is grossly under utilizing a "golden opportunity" .....Fred

Kinda like the guy who read Shakespeare for the first time and remarked "I don't get what people see in him -- it's just a bunch of cliches."

To be specific....."they're not quotations". Just emphasizing particular portions of my post by using quotation marks.

Sorry to say...we've really "strayed" from the original post.

Yes... a .54 would "do 'em in". As a "sneaky manoever" in hunting camels....dress like a friendly Arab....fools 'em every time :grin: ......Fred

Back