• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp Cooking-looking for ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RHW, would sure like to see that picture posted!!! most guys have a wench fantacy. mine just does not have red hair :crackup:
good luck on the cook book! snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

SE1000,

I'm flabbergasted! Your remarks are so chauvinistic! Aren't you in touch with your feminine side? ::

Lehigh County, propa longarms.

PS Anyway the correct fantasy is red hair and glasses!

:blah:

PPS RHW p o s t t h e p i c t u r e ............ I c o m m a n d y o u !

:crackup:

lehigh_county,
If you knew me chauvinistic would be
the last word you
would use to describe me!!! Hell i like
God's gift to man so well i have married four of them,
the last one for 20years(I better keep this one,i'm
gettin too old to look for anymore) :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :imo: :hmm:
snake-eyes :: :thumbsup:
to stay on subject i sure hope RHW gets that
cookbook together :applause:

Hell i like God's gift to man

Now see there you go again... Gods gift to man! extremely chauvinistic!

:thumbsup:

Lehigh County, propa longarms.

PS SE1000 - I hope you realise ima playen withya!

:blah:

PPS Ah yes, the book.....RHW; GET THE BOOK!!! GET THE GODDAM BOOK READY!!!

GET THE !!!!!!! BOOK READY!!!
Just a note, this IS a family site and I for one do not think that kind of language is neccesary on this fine forum.

GET THE !!!!!!! BOOK READY!!!
Just a note, this IS a family site and I for one do not think that kind of language is neccesary on this fine forum.

:agree: Unless your calling on him please leave God out of it!

Chuck

RHW,
My wife likes to make meatloaves in disposable tin foil pans. she makes a bunch of them ahead of time and freezes them. when we go to a camp she puts the whole thing into the dutch oven and we have meatloaf for supper with no mess in the dutch oven. freezing them seems to bring out the flavor more. kind of like having bean soup or chili leftovers. if you want her meatloaf recipe i'm sure i can get it for you.
scott fellows

OK OK!!! I get the point! I am working on compiling a booklet and trying to find that stupid picture of me, Goodness knows where it might be these many years past, lol!I will let everyone know when it is ready to be seen. I might need some help editing it as well, any takers? Oh! the roadkill section is a good idea as well as possibly some space for pc drinks, and desserts! Keep them coming :)

I take along Louisiana style boudin when we have access to a cooler. It's precooked and can be eaten cold, warmed near a fire, fried or put into other dishes (like scrambled eggs). We make it with pork butt, rice and spices then pack into casings. I also often take fresh and/or smoked, dried sausage. Don't know if it's PC for re-enacting but I do know sausage in various forms has been in existence for a long while.

From one red head to another - Ever tried good old fashioned Irish Colcannon?

Made with cabbage, mashed potatos and what ever else you have handy - It's easy to prepare and dates back a considerable while. Here's my version:

Colcannon

1 head cabbage, sliced/shredded
5-6 medium/large Irish potatoes, washed & peeled then cut into 1/4's
2 cups mushrooms, chopped/sliced (sausage may be substituted for mushrooms if you want some meat in your Colcannon)
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced/chopped
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced/chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced/chopped (the reason for the different color peppers is strictly aesthetic - makes for a more attractive presentation - feel free to use only one color or leave them out entirely)
1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
1 tsp Rosemary, crushed or whole
3-5 cloves garlic, crushed
salt, to taste
Tobasco sauce, to taste
Any additional spices you like, to taste.

Cooking directions:

Throw everything in the biggest Dutch oven you can find (I use a 12 or 16 quart) and cover with water (occasionally I'll use a 1/2 water - 1/2 beer mixture).

Cook covered over a good hot fire or bed of coals until potatos are cooked through.

After the first 15 minutes, check often for taste, stirring Colcannon every time you taste it. (This gives you an excuse for continually taking the lid off!)

This is a traditional Irish dish and makes for a delicious stick to your ribs meal.

Note: Originally made with mashed potatos and served as a thick porridge, I prefer to simply 1/4 the potatos and serve as a stew.

If a person likes cabbage, this is a superb main dish! Or it can be used as side dish in a potluck supper.

I've been making Colcannon for years and have never had anything but compliments on it.

Good luck!

...The Kansan...

Man oh Man! I just hope you extend some common courtesy to all those po'folk down wind of your lodge after putting on that kind of feed!

Hon, I've never tried that over a fire, but it sure does sound wonderful! Puts me in mind of a New England Boiled Dinner, using a picnic shoulder with all the veggies! Have done that myself over the fire, and had just about everyone going past my camp asking to buy a plate of it to take home! I am keeping this one for sure. Now....What I wold like is some help with the proposed book. Main dishes, sides, desserts, if anyone has attempted it, and drinks, all ideas are wanted and welcome. I've been getting a pretty good list going on so far, and would like to see it continue!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look here and the help I am receiving!

THE redhairedwench :redthumb:

Yes, Stumpkiller, it IS period correct to be chauvinistic, but remember, boys, "The hand that rocks the cradle, rules the world" and they ain't talking about men either! Or, how about this one...."Behind every strong man, there is a STRONGER WOMAN"!!

And, one of our Founding Father's wives had admonished him to not "forget the ladies" in writing the Declaration. Just think, if that would have been the case, we never would have had to have the feminist movement!

On a lighter side, I do like having a strong man around, makes me feel pretty safe, so you can be all male around me any time you want! :haha:

Check out the international dutch oven society. I think their addy is[url] idos.org[/url]. Lots of recipes from chili to chicken with coke to fruit cobblers

Last edited by a moderator:
Whiskeyjoe,

I've always considered the excessive build up of "warm air" to be one of the greater benefits of Colcannon: It helps keep the lodge warm at night by providing an extra source of natural fuel (just be careful that you don't singe your eyebrows -or worse!), it just about guarantees that you'll be allowed to go to the head of the waiting line for the hooter and if Indians DO attack, you know that there is already an impenetrable force field around your camp!

The down side is that I have to put with others constantly wrinkling their brows and asking, "My gawd man, are you deflating?!!! :eek: :cry:

...The Kansan...

Redhairwench
Get ya one of them dutch ovens of cast iron. Make ya some bisquits and place them in it and bake them on the fire.
Then cook some ground sausage in a skillet and make some gravy when it is done with the sausage in it.
Nuttin like sausage gravy and bisquits for breakfast or lunch or dinner.

Woody

here's another for the book...

Smothered Turkey Breast

turkey breast
Onions
celery
carrots
6-8 rashers bacon (raw)
salt & pepper

Wash and clean the turkey breast, remove all excess fat. Loosen skin from the meat but do not remove.

Slice onions to 1/4" thick slabs, place under skin next to meat, place 2 slices of the bacon over onion under skin on each side.

Liberally pepper the breast on top of the skin, add a pinch or two of kosher or sea salt.

Layer the remaining bacon over the skin, place one slice of onion on each end and skewer into the meat to hold in place.

Cut remaining onions into medium chunks wtih carrot and celery, drizzle with olive oil and place in bottom of a dutch oven or coverable baking dish. Place turkey breast up on top of the chunked veggies. Drizzle a little olive oil on top of the onions on the turkey breast to prevent burning and cover.

Put into a 400 degree oven, bake until done.

And that's what's in the oven at the moment for Easter dinner. Should be even better in a DO over a fire with some micky'd potatos.

vic

Vic, I've done finished my dinner, but if ya got just a little piece left over......... :redface:

Russ

Vic, I've done finished my dinner, but if ya got just a little piece left over

Well, ya see, I don't know how to cook for less than 6 or 10, so there's always a piece or three left over for folks coming in a bit late from where-ever they been before getting here.

C'mon by anytime. The food may not be fancy, but there'll always be enough for whoever wants.

vic

Hey, Wench, and I mean that with all do respect. Claude mentioned a rabbit/cat/dog on a spit, how about a turkey on that spit. Makes a really good show, easy to cook, feeds 5 to 8 people. add a couple chickens when about half done. You'll be answering questions about if it's real all day long. Simpleist answer is come back at suppertime and watch us eat it. :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back