• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can I make a short starter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
While shooting today I noticed I had a problem with my short starter. When I started the ball I saw I had cut the patch. At first I thought this patch might also be too thick, but then I noticed the short starter long arm barely fit doen the bore alone. With a patch it would go at all. I may have a .54 starter that was in a .50 package when I bought it.
Is there an easy way to make a starter? If so, want to tell me how?

Thanks,
Jim

I make short starters out of oak wood dowel from the hardware store and a wood ball from the craft store. I make a concave tip on the dowel to comform to the ball.

HD

Do I need the brass end like what came on the starter I bought, or is the wood stout enough alone?

Jim

For my starter for my 50 caliber, the short end has an empty 45 acp cartridge on it. The longer end is just bare wood, and hasn't been a problem. I got it off a trade blanket somewhere, so I don't know how it was assembled.

The wood is plenty strong. I have one that I use a mallet on to short start and it shows no sign of wear.

HD

A fun way to build a short starter for bench work is to attach an old doorknob to a short length of dowel rod that will fit your barrel. The door knob will protect your hand if you have to beat on the short starter to get the load down the barrel.

Many Klatch

So far, I have not seen any documented evidence that short starters were used historically. I no longer do any competitive shooting where I have to pound down a tight ball. A short starter is just another unnecessary item cluttering up my shooting bag, and so, I don't use short starters anymore.
Having said that; short starters are real easy to make.
I used to make mine a little differently than most.
I start by cutting a circle out of a 1" thick board. I like a 2 1/2" diameter circle. I then bore a hole into the edge of the circle and insert a length of dowel of appropriate dimension to match the caliber of the bore it is intended for. Glue it in with wood glue. I round off the end of the dowel slightly so that it isn't as likely to splinter. I don't bother with any metal tip.
That's all there is to it. The finished product resembles a wooden lollypop. Stain and varnish it, or just leave it plain - however you like.

:shocked2: That you think you need one. It's one more thing to sarry and lose. If your load is right the patched ball can be loaded with your thumb and ram rodimho. Bob

Short starter diameter:
You can "turn" down the diameter of the too-large short starter easily if you have a bench grinder or a belt sander...I've tweaked a couple of mine for .62cals because GM's .62cals are really .61s and had a similar problem as yours...laid my belt sander on it's back with the belt running and while rotating the starter in my hands trimmed off a little, tried it, etc.

Short starter in history:
Somebody here posted an article & photo of a Revolutionery war short starter from a museum or something a couple years ago.

I don't use one either. I just use either my thumb or the butt of my patch knife to seat the ball and the choke up on the ramrod really good so there's only about 4" below my fist. That works really well for me, and it's one less thing to lose or fumble with.

How about a 6-8 inch length of 7/16" dowel or an ash, hickory or black locust branch of proper diameter inserted into a coupla inch length of broken 'hawk handle, broken axe handle, or a 3" section of an approporiate diameter of tree branch.

This ain't rocket science folks.

I had one, lost it. That was made using a wooden drawer pull and piece of hickory ranrod. Was nice as the flat top of pull was easy on the hand. I use a piece of hickory stick with a shallow groove in it from a disease scar, seems hickorys have them on there tree limbs. I center the groove over ball and bump, turn on side,bump,turn up straight and push ball down. I have small sheath on strap to carry. They are tapered. Have them from 32 to54. If losted, cut a new one. Dilly

Sure you can make your own. Best kind!

In this image I made one from a file handle - whittled the dowel section and flattened the sides so it doesn't take up much room in my pouch.

Sevenfastshots.jpg

The one in this image is also whittled from a single piece of curly maple.

IM000565a.jpg

The one in the top left under the hawk blade is a piece of witchhazel branch with another "dowel" also of witchhazel. That one's from the late 70's and still my favorite. My original "thing" I ever made for m/l. Light & fits my palm. Lately I don't even bother - just choke up on the rammer for the last 4" or so.

Sharp.jpg

I used an antique silver plated doorknob for my range shortstarter. Turned down the end of a leftover piece of ramrod, stuck it in, tightened the setscrew and viola! Got some nice comments about it.

Now the one I use in the field I turned from a piece of one of our old kitchen chair legs. It's about had it, so I need to make another.

Short starters are easy to make and are as individual as the characters who made them. I prefer to use a 3 inch piece of hammer handle with a 3 inch peg glued into the flatter side of the oval shaped handle piece. All measurements are aproximate as I never measure such things, I go with what feels good in my hand. I find this style of short starter is easier on my hands than balls or door nobs and such.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is as simple as the store bought one looks.
Now that I also have a .54 TC Hawken I will not modify the current short starter.

Jim

Mine is a combination powder measure / short starter. Didn't take too long to do.

108-0810_IMG.jpg

I've made quite a few short starters out of antler and some out of wood. I like to use concave ramrod tips for the short and long ends.

As others have said, not difficult at all. Here is a simple one I made about 20 years ago and has served me well when needed.
Shortstarter.jpg

Emery

I use a crab mallet i bought for 25 cents at swap meat. I just sanded the end of the handle concaved.

Mike

Latest posts

Back