• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can we see some Fowlers...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kapellmeister said:
My .62 NE fowler:
NE%20Fowler%20001.JPG
Kapellmeister..need some details length- weight- has it taken any game? Love the wood and looks like a fast handler...

I've only shot about 8 rounds out of it so far. Couple of cartridges, 3-4 patched, and a couple of powder,ball, wad shots using a .662 ball from about 25 yards. For a long and early style it balances very nice. I still have to find the right place for my cheek. First couple of shots were high but fairly centered. Just finished it a couple of weeks ago so I hope to do some more shooting soon. Interested to see how buck and ball and shot work. The wood is the lowest grade of American walnut that TRS sells.

makeumsmoke said:
Kapellmeister said:
My .62 NE fowler:
NE%20Fowler%20001.JPG
Kapellmeister..need some details length- weight- has it taken any game? Love the wood and looks like a fast handler...

It was built by Larry Williams (I bought it second hand). I hated the original color stain of the wood ("poop brown" to quote Mike Brooks) and the metal just looked bare... so I refinished the stock and took a little cold bluing & Scotch-brite to the metal.

Being a Connecticut Valley style fowler, it doesn't really go with my PA German persona, but it'll have to do for now... I've only taken small game with shot loads with it. Missed one deer with it w/ PRB if that counts for anything! :haha: It handles pretty well... not very heavy but the barrel is 46". I remember trying to slowly swing the gun on that deer... and it felt VERY long at that particular moment! :haha:

Here's some more details/photos of the gun: N.E. Fowler

Well, as Connecticut settlers were trying to muscle into North Central Pennsylvania in the Wyoming Valley just before the Revolution, it's less unlikely to go along with your personality than you might think. Connecticut was aggressively trying to claim large portions of central PA at the time, so a number of pieces made it down to that area.

colmoultrie said:
Well, as Connecticut settlers were trying to muscle into North Central Pennsylvania in the Wyoming Valley just before the Revolution, it's less unlikely to go along with your personality than you might think. Connecticut was aggressively trying to claim large portions of central PA at the time, so a number of pieces made it down to that area.

Good to know, Colmoultrie - thanks! Since I actually live in one of the mid-18th c. closed Moravian settlements of the area, I'm trying to do my persona around a resident of the same village... an early Northampton or a Christian's Spring style would suit me fine! They were pacifists - so it would be a hunting piece, of course. I've been toying with the idea of selling my 3 current flinters to get a repro built of an original Christian Oerter fowler/smoothrifle that I have photos of. The music teacher/organist of the day here in the village was also a blacksmith... :hmm:

Mike Brooks said:
I hated the original color stain of the wood ("poop brown" to quote Mike Brooks)
Did I say that? :haha:

I know it's hard to believe that you'd be so blunt :wink: Mike, but yes, you did! :haha: And I concurred!

mdtnhunter,
That's a fine lookin club butt. :hatsoff: I'm workin on one as we speak. The bbl is 90% inlet in a nice piece of curly maple.
Dusty :wink:

I am not really up on the NE guns, is that a true "club butt" style buttstock? BTW which ever it may be it is a beautifull gun by any standards.

Hey TG... not sure if you think we were referring to my NE fowler... Dusty Bob (& I) were both referring back to mdtnhunter's club butt on the first page of this thread. (My NE fowler has the French influenced stock common with the CT Valley guns.)

I've been away for a while and just noticed this topic.

If you want to see my gorgeous baby (a 14 bore custom built English fowler with French influence and a 48" octagon to round barrel with full walnut stock), check out our own Roy Stroh's website. That gun is so good that a friend of mine - who hardly ever shoots - said "you just can't miss with this thing!" And that was at over 50 yards!

Shot, round ball, rocks, or sand!
:haha:

I went to Roy's website, but found no fowlers. Is there a place I missed?

"Hey TG... not sure if you think we were referring to my NE fowler... '

My bad, I found the correct gun :thumbsup:

I like it OldArmy, I had a .54 JB with a tallow hole in plain Maple at one time, that is a nice smoothrifle bore size to shoot, yours is a very nice looking gun.

Kmeyer, who made or where did the parts for your Fusil come from? I assume it is a Fusil Fin? looks nice.I really like the color of the wood.

Homesteader, I really like the finish on the barrel, instead of my armory white. What is it? I may have to copy that. Nice vivid grain in the wood as well. I can see why you like it, I would too!

Heres mine , a work in progress. .62 , 44-1/2" barrel , black walnut stock . Wont be much longer though !
BucksCoSmthRfle012.jpg

BucksCoSmthRfle011.jpg

Back