• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canned WHAT???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:: Just a thought. Maybe thats a "typo" on the lable . Just think if you invert the "a" and the "r" It may actually be what it tastes like :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :results:
Soggy

Isn't free trade wonderful?I Thought we had enough carp here without importing them from the Ukraine.

Stumpkiller
My buddy and I had just started off the day fishing a wingdam on the Mississippi river just down the hill from me. We were using cranks and tossing them from above the wingdam working our way from the inside to the outer edge of the dam.

We were in his boat and all four of my matching rods and reels were just laying along side of the passenger seat. Well very quickly I thought I nailed a good sized walleye. It felt a lot heavier than the 8-1/2lb walleye I have mounted. I had a tough time bringing this guy up to the surface so I backed off the drag a bit. I use 30lb test with a 12lb diameter but this guy was really bending the rod and I didn't want to bust it.

I called to my buddy to get the net out - which is stored in a compartment the width of the boat in the stern. As he did he let the lid drop back down, and that took off the last 6 inches of one of my rods that were just laying there. $80 down the drain but worse than that, a few minutes later I brought up a 15+ pound, snagged in the tail carp to the gunwale.

I lost a good rod and tossed the fish back with extreme prejudice! One of my rods is now about 6 inches shorter with the tip-top looking strangely close to the second eye. I didn't like carp before that and this really tipped the scales against them! ha! It wasn't really the carp's fault and if he was not snagged, I could have brought him up and released him without any loss of equipment. My opinion is that carp are way too mushy to eat, even in spring. But it is wild to get back into their spawning beds. What a racket!

Well, it doesn't taste anything like Mackerel( Ughhh! ). I'd heard rumors that some people actually ate them, and now I know of one...

Holy Carp, this thing's getting out of hand. The only thing I find carp good for is some exercise on my "rod" arm when I bring them in... :peace:

Later
I.C.

The only thing I find carp good for is some exercise on my "rod" arm when I bring them in...

Oh, there's one thing they're really good for: catfish bait. Catch a carp, cut him up into little 1-inch chunks of meat, and set a trotline on a good catfish lake with it. Not only do the catfish love the stuff, but it's so tough you only have to re-bait your hooks once a night! Best damn catfish bait I've ever used.

Back in my teens, me and a buddy used to head to the bottoms in the spring and catch carp with pitchforks. Fried carp cut up into finger strips is a real treat. So are carp patties, taste just like salmon patties. I think the old mountain man saying goes "Meat's meat!" Guess ya hafta be a Mid-westerner... :thumbsup:

Back when I was in school (way back) I used to go fishing with a friend of mine. His step-mother was jewish. Each time we left to go fishing, she'd come to the door and tell us "Have fun boys, bring me back nice carp.". We did, and she'd make gefiltefish. After seeing it (and getting downwind of it), I always declined a taste. From my friends description of the taste, it was the smart thing to do

It sounds to like a lot of you fellers have never tried to eat carp or suckers of any variation.

I have and it's a great fish to eat first you have to remove the oil gland in the shoulder area. Then the dark strip called the mud vein that runs down their middle.

Then what you have left is delicious white flesh. I've eaten it several different ways my favorite is deep fried with tartar sauce and hushpuppies. Can't be beat but it's like anything else they must be caught from clean water. Which is sometimes hard to find here in the east.

The ones I've eaten came from a country stream or small country lake. I have caught them on small jigs and once I caught one while bass fishing in a small creek with a little 3 inch long Rapala.

Chuck Goodall
TMA President

I keep a tank of live carp in my kitchen and feed them goldfish flakes.
They're real pretty too, gold and white and black, no silver ones though ::

Huntin

GEFILTE FISH

6 lbs fish white, trout or snapper (3 balls to 1 lb of fish)
3 onions
3 eggs
2 tablespoons matzo meal
1 cup water added several times while chopping
salt & white pepper

In a very large cooking pot, cut up onions, onion peels and fish
bones. Add water to 3 or 4 inches above chopped onions and
bring to boil.

While water is boiling, chop fish mixture until light and fluffy
andchopping knife comes out clean.

FISH MIXTURE
If necessary, keep hands moistened with water to keep fish from
sticking tohands. Mix fish, eggs and matzo meal, water and salt
and pepper. Make balls orcroquets.

Put in boiling stock. Cover and cook 3 hours. Add water 3 times,
enough to keep fish barely covered.

Before adding water the third time, correct seasoning and add a
pinch of sugar.

Gefilte fish is only made from carp if better fish are not available.

Call them "po fish" of you like. :: When the influx of Russian Jews got here to America before WWI they were hardly in a postition to be selective. There's also many kinds of carp in the world: top feeders, middle feeders and bottom feeders. I've seen the "Susquehanna Salmon" hanging around the sewage treatment plant and feeding in marinas under the toxic bottom paint deserts under boats and I don't have any passionate urge to find out what their systems have filter and concentrated into their bodies from that water.

{Methodist - but with a beloved Jewish uncle, now deceased}

Huntinfool....suckers are deliscious too. Hogmollies are equally so. We used to gig a bunch of suckers and hogmollies, clean 'em, ring 'em and fry 'em on the gravel bar and have hush puppies and someone usually brought along some cole slaw. Sure was a great mid-night meal on the creeks and rivers when gigging. Carp we always took home and canned. Reckon most folks are just too close minded.

Vic

All right...but what does chicken taste like?

Tastes like Frog Legs. ::

Did you hear about the two lesbian frogs sitting on a lilypad?

The one says to the other "They're right we do taste like chicken!" :hmm: :haha: :haha: :haha:

The only thing I find carp good for is some exercise on my "rod" arm when I bring them in...

Oh, there's one thing they're really good for: catfish bait. Catch a carp, cut him up into little 1-inch chunks of meat, and set a trotline on a good catfish lake with it. Not only do the catfish love the stuff, but it's so tough you only have to re-bait your hooks once a night! Best damn catfish bait I've ever used.

they like alligator gar too,
here kitty kitty :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tastes like Frog Legs. :: [/quote]

Naw it tast like wabbit you waskle :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

:sorry:could'nt resist

A friend has a commercial net licenses for carp on Sakakawea in ND. The go to the OK fish market every week where the big buyers are Burger King and McDonalds. According to him that is what McFish sticks are. I wouldn't know as I've never ate one!

Latest posts

Back